Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: MediaPhile

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: MediaPhile

Someone needs to get an extra test system....

OMG, now NOTHING works!! I am losing my mind over here, pulled open the main PC and took out the graphics card, inserted one of the new ones and same thing...no POST. Tried another one, no POST, replaced the main card that was just in there, no POST, tried an old 1900 that always works, no POST, checked all power lines, unplugged everything I could think of that was not needed, no POST. I can't get this MF to turn on no matter what I do! And this is my primary PC, WTF is going on???
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Everything clean? Meaning the PCI-E slots. Check the cables to make sure the pins are going all the way through the connectors.

Everything is clean, pins are ok. Here is what it has resulted to, after trying all those cards and getting identical results I decided to try resetting CMOS (for whatever reason) and it actually worked. I was able to boot to BIOS with the primary card (7970). But, when I swapped out any other card the same thing happened. Now even without removing the video card, I have to reset CMOS any time the computer is unplugged. I guess that means the battery is dead. Then I remembered that I have an old single PCIe slot motherboard from and old box and I powered it up to run the cards through the line again. With the exception of the 7970, I tried all of the cards on that motherboard with the same PSU. The old 1900, another old card (2400 or something) work fine, but both of my 5870's and both new 5870's all do the same thing in that setup. So that is the same result with 4 cards tested on two PSU's, 3 motherboards, 3 CPU's. What are the chances that all four GPU's are actually blown? I'm so confused.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    What are the chances that all four GPU's are actually blown? I'm so confused.
    While it would be nearly impossible that you would have 4 dead cards from the factory (especially if they are different brands), it is possible that maybe you have one bad PSU that is frying them via the video card rail, and that they then remain dead for the other PSUs.

That seems like a long shot, but I'm trying to figure out what it could be and that at least makes some sense logically.

I had the same thought earlier today, trying to figure out why it wouldn't have killed the 1900 or the 7970 and not even sure how to test for it. However, the thing that made think less of the theory is that the first trial of each card was not all on the same PSU. So their debut failure also occurred on separate PSU's. I must admit, if there is a pattern it eludes me, this is just bizarre.

I guess I would try to flash all the cards, if you can, and then try each in a known working machine. Maybe it's the card, maybe it's some odd driver issue . . . although that makes no sense either. There's also the chance that the cards have corrupted settings not allowing them to be the boot output video. Or it could be something on the motherboard.

idk, now I'm just saying everything. I'm stumped too.

I hadn't thought of flashing the cards, not even sure how. I'll have to look into that, thanks for the tip.