Thread: windows help please

Custom Title Honors

Default windows help please

ok, so i have a computer to repair. it is the webcam server for the doggy day care that i take my little shih-t head to.

just some background for fun:

first i replaced the power supply, then replaced the heatsink and fan with a super gank-smank one that i had that didn't fit on any thing i own, but did fit this socket. then replaced the exhaust fans. and finally blew everything out real good with high pressure air at my buddy's shop.

anyway, turned it on and it posted and i though everything was great. but then i get the message that ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt or missing. ok, no problem, i find info on how to restore it.

now, this is the problem. i don't want to restore the wrong kernel and f**k everything up since i cannot repair the software portion of this thing. so what i need help with is how do i find out what version of windows is on this machine from the recovery console?

help me obi wan kenobi, you're my only hope!!!!

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: windows help please

i've made some progress! woo hoo!

but then i was thwarted again.

i found out this computer has xp home installed. what i don't know is what service pack if installed if any. so i have to figure that out.

but my main problem now is i need a windows xp home disk to start the sytem recovery. i have xp pro, but not home. does anyone know where i can get one? i have the serial number sticker on the case, but no disk.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

...I do have an XP Home disk myself.

Although, I'm not sure MS would accept me transferring an .iso to you...
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Custom Title Honors

i just got a disk locally. thanks anyway.

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

i know your problem! it's windows! HAHA all kidding aside, you figure it out, or still working on it?
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Custom Title Honors

oh man. no i haven't figured it out. i tried restoring the registry hive and i got further, but now it just locks up at the options screen. i tried fixmbr last night and ran a chkdsk. neither helped. i think i've exhausted all options so the next step is to reinstall. i was hoping to avoid that because now i am stuck with having figure out how to reset up the whole webcam system. this pisses me off, it's the first computer i haven't been able to fix. grrrrrr.