Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice "free" state to live in?

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: Nice "free" state to live in?

Oh, so Oregon and Washington blow, and Montana sucks?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I have lived in many states and so far California is the best (for me). There are some issues here, just like any place. It changes, again just like any other state, but you have to choose what is important to you. If you need 10+ bullets in your clips try another state. I can protect my self and my belongings with only a few clips.

Northern California and southern California are 2 different places. I left SoCal because of the plastic people, bad traffic and overall rudeness of the population.

If I had to choose another state, it would probably be Nevada or Oregon (where they believe the general population is too dumb to pump their own gas), or if I could afford it, Hawaii.

I made a list of my important items and a list of deal breakers and California still comes out on top. Since I own property here, I would not sell to move, rather rent for now and buy somewhere else.

IMNSHO San Diego sucks. I couldn't get away from that town fast enough. LA is somewhat better, but the people are a lot more fake and the traffic screams mass suicide. Long Beach (we lovingly call it Bong Leach), was a nice compromise between San Diego and LA, but it went downhill fast and once the SO was threatened by a 12 yo girl with a knife on campus and the school district did nothing about it, we knew it was time to leave.

No matter where you decide to relocate to, do some serious investigation. The grass does seem to be greener on the other side, but once you are on that side of the fence, it is the same view and harder to move back.

BTW: Not all companies require you to be bi-lingual in California. Hell I am looking for a JR. system builder and finding someone that can communicate well in english is turning out to be quite the chore.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

I love Idaho, it is a great state. I lived in Wyoming too, and it was fun as well, but kind of boring (I lived in Rock Springs, not much going on there).
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    BTW: Not all companies require you to be bi-lingual in California. Hell I am looking for a JR. system builder and finding someone that can communicate well in english is turning out to be quite the chore.
    Hehe... Too bad I'm not out in cali...Sounds like a dream job for me....
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    Hehe... Too bad I'm not out in cali...Sounds like a dream job for me....
    To be honest it will be boring half the time. Building the same systems and installing the same software over and over. The other half of the time would be challenging due to projects and custom work.

Did I mention one of my custom chassis is now in production?

Sorry, back on topic.

Determining where you want to relocate to depends a lot on what sort of job/career you have in mind. Some locations are not conducive to certain professions.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

I'm in northern Idaho. I like it quite a bit, although I wouldn't say I'm an Idaho sort of person.

Things that are nice: I can drive 10 minutes out of town and just go shooting. There are plenty of places people go and it's pretty fun. In Moscow, where I live, there's a rail-to-trail system that connects a lot of the smaller towns in the area so I can ride my bike all over the place, which is fun. It's cheap. I bought my trailer for $17,000. It's nice enough for my family and where we are in our lives right now and makes so much more sense than paying rent for six years, even if the thing burns down when we're ready to move. Cost of living is fairly low. Camping, fishing (which I don't do), and other outdoor activities are really easy to do here. The summers are incredibly nice. They rarely get too hot. People are pretty nice, although they are sort of liberal hippies where I live (there's a hemp fest every year on the weekend of April 20).

Stuff that sucks: Taxes aren't great, and I hate that food is taxed. In Washington it isn't. Minimum wage is practically nothing. I work just across the border in Washington making $11 an hour. Washington doesn't have income tax so they don't tax that, but then Idaho takes it away later. However, it's much better than the $7.25 I would make doing anything in Idaho. Housing where I live is way too expensive compared to the state average and the average yearly salary is way below the state average as well. It makes it surprisingly unaffordable to try and buy a house while I'm here.

Summer comes too late, and after a long, cold spring ever year. Winters can be pretty crappy as well. Moscow is pretty small compared to what I'm used to, but Spokane is close, and Coeur d'Alene, and Lewiston and Clarkston. Seattle or Portland are much too far away.

Oregon has no sales tax, but their income tax is crazy. I'm not sure on their property tax. I know that a lot of people (intelligently) live near Portland, but in Washington and reap the benefits of both worlds.

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

My app business has been targeted by someone and they've been reporting my apps on Google. 4/4 have been suspended for ridiculous reasons.
    PicPak -- No reason
    PicPak Adult -- nudity (they say they allow adult apps during the upload and it's categorized/restricted as such yet......)
    Drag Racing Pro Setups -- too similar of an icon to "Drag Racing"
    Drag Racing Beginner's Guide -- too similar of an icon to "Drag Racing"

In short, I give up and simply feel the urge to start fresh somewhere else. Currently my only hobbies/interests are firearms and computers. I owe over $7000 in taxes from last year and security jobs in CA + cost of living here will not pay the bills. The people here all seem to be those "Born on 3rd base and think they hit a triple" type. Honestly, I'm just embarrassed to have been on the road to success with zero outside help then having it torn from me and being forced to return back to a $240/week job babysitting adults that can't handle their alcohol, drugs or aggression 4 nights a week. I'm thankful they asked me to come back but at the same time, it's embarrassing to face the people as a failure... like returning home from MCRD not a Marine all over again...
    The gun laws aren't affecting me much but it would be a bonus to live in a state where I don't have to neuter my firearms just to own them and pay 50% more for each firearm only to receive essentially "half" of what I'm paying for. San Diego is a high crime city yet it's difficult to carry unless you're law enforcement, own a shop that has over $x,000 in the register at the end of the day or lived through your first robbery, shooting, assault etc... I can't support a state that welcomes criminals and disarms the law abiding citizens.
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

pa is pretty good on alot of gun laws. me and fug are from the same neck of the woods.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

Come to Alabama. I'm not sure much of any of that's illegal, and we have large tracts of land so people won't bother you anyway.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

I came, I saw, I conquered killergamer's Avatar

How about wisconsin? Truthfully its seems to be a great place to live. I am bored by the Area but its fairly cheap to live.
    [Kayin] 7:38 pm: Actually, during a hostile takeover, Satan's left nut and all his crabs beat Satan at the board meeting (he didn't know that his crabs held stock)
    and so we're owned by a conglomerate of pubic lice and the left testicle of the Prince of the Powers of the Air.