Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice "free" state to live in?

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Default Nice "free" state to live in?

Alright, so California has been rough on me. I can't stand the ridiculous gun laws or the higher-than-thou people. I'm considering abandoning ship -- packing up essentials and crossing my fingers to find a decent paying job and place to live on my venture.
    Where are you located? Are people respectful? Low crime rate? Can I actually have standard magazines (10+ rounds)?

Random, I know... Just fed up with everything about San Diego.
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

Default Re: Nice "free" state to live in?

Let me introduce you to a little area known as the midwest...
    Not dead yet

I dig it here in Oregon

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

"Freeest" state I think is Texas. I havn't lived in the states for a few years now so things might have changed but PA has always been good to us. We have lots of guns and lots of ammo. My 9mm holds 15 or 17 (I think) and I take it to the range when I'm home on R&Rs. (Once a year).

I remember the law passed a few years ago and I think you can have automatics in PA now.

I do know you can buy firearms super fast and easilly. I picked out my 9mm and was out in less than an hour. Few forms to fill out and they call the State Troopers to run a backround check on you which doesn't take long. The forms take the longest.

Up north you don't need a shooting range. If you have land and a clear field behind it, your backyard is your range. We have a house up north which is where we go every year to sight in our hunting rifles.

Taxes aren't horrible. 3% State Tax. Another 3% if you live in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh Area) so don't do that. I don't "live" in the US any more but I claim my parents house so I have to pay that tax. Although it is cheaper than where you are coming from so that wouldn't be bad for you.

What kind of job would you be looking for? Banking? IT? Security? I have many connections and could help if you chose that area.

COL (Cost of Living) is cheap in PA. Nothing is as expensive as it is on the West Coast.

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Being 23 my resume is rather short. Most of my experience is in the Security field, though I have brief background in warehouse/sales/military/management/business.
    I don't expect to hop into a high paying job, so long as I can pay for basic necessities along with room to grow I'll be stoked.
    I just applied for a private sector job in Idaho -- a dream job for me to be around technology and weaponry; Anything where I get to see and experience things that the majority does not. There just doesn't appear to be anything in California for me... fake people, jobs with little opportunity to offer, ridiculous gun laws, high taxes, outrageous job requirements (3 years exp+bilingual for min wage?), etc...
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

Custom Title Honors

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzKillington View Post
    There just doesn't appear to be anything in California for me... fake people, jobs with little opportunity to offer, ridiculous gun laws, high taxes, outrageous job requirements (3 years exp+bilingual for min wage?), etc...
    you've just expressed all the reasons i refuse to live in california. hell i don't even want to visit or go to that side of the country. the midwest is about as close as i feel like getting to california. maryland isn't much better though. so i'm pretty miserable here too.

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Alright, so California has been rough on me. I can't stand the ridiculous gun laws or the higher-than-thou people. I'm considering abandoning ship -- packing up essentials and crossing my fingers to find a decent paying job and place to live on my venture.
    Where are you located? Are people respectful? Low crime rate? Can I actually have standard magazines (10+ rounds)?

Random, I know... Just fed up with everything about San Diego.
    haha, you are stuck in cali too? i've been debating moving as well. im located in northern ca. low crime rate. people are dicks. and no, limited 10 rounds. legally, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    "Freeest" state I think is Texas. I havn't lived in the states for a few years now so things might have changed but PA has always been good to us. We have lots of guns and lots of ammo. My 9mm holds 15 or 17 (I think) and I take it to the range when I'm home on R&Rs. (Once a year).

I remember the law passed a few years ago and I think you can have automatics in PA now.

I do know you can buy firearms super fast and easilly. I picked out my 9mm and was out in less than an hour. Few forms to fill out and they call the State Troopers to run a backround check on you which doesn't take long. The forms take the longest.

Up north you don't need a shooting range. If you have land and a clear field behind it, your backyard is your range. We have a house up north which is where we go every year to sight in our hunting rifles.

Taxes aren't horrible. 3% State Tax. Another 3% if you live in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh Area) so don't do that. I don't "live" in the US any more but I claim my parents house so I have to pay that tax. Although it is cheaper than where you are coming from so that wouldn't be bad for you.

What kind of job would you be looking for? Banking? IT? Security? I have many connections and could help if you chose that area.

COL (Cost of Living) is cheap in PA. Nothing is as expensive as it is on the West Coast.
    **** texas. in PA how is the deal with speeding? texas is tough on that, and if i had to drive slow, i would die.

Being 23 my resume is rather short. Most of my experience is in the Security field, though I have brief background in warehouse/sales/military/management/business.
    I don't expect to hop into a high paying job, so long as I can pay for basic necessities along with room to grow I'll be stoked.
    I just applied for a private sector job in Idaho -- a dream job for me to be around technology and weaponry; Anything where I get to see and experience things that the majority does not. There just doesn't appear to be anything in California for me... fake people, jobs with little opportunity to offer, ridiculous gun laws, high taxes, outrageous job requirements (3 years exp+bilingual for min wage?), etc...
    i hear ya buzz, haha. idaho? like where the aa12 is made?
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

We got a couple houses available on our street
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cale_Hagan View Post
    **** texas. in PA how is the deal with speeding? texas is tough on that, and if i had to drive slow, i would die.
    6-7 over is the most you can do on the highway without getting pulled over. I've gone faster but didn't pass any cops. But if your following a few people going fast that always works out. I call them "bait".

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Montana.

• No sales tax.
    • Low cost of living.
    • Decent rate of pay/cost of living ration.

Now for the not so nice things about Montana
    • Price of Gas. We're the last to see increases. We're also the last to see decreases.
    • Wind.
    • Weather. It can be extreme sometimes. Not uncommon at all to have all four seasons in one day.
    • Did I mention the wind?
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream