Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is your daddy, and what does he do?

Default Re: Who is your daddy, and what does he do?

My dad was a builder until he had a brain injury at 29 that almost killed him - he recovered fully but on doctor's advice he took something less strenuous. He went to college and did some IT courses, worked his way up as a technician and became an IT consultant - the sort who specced your office, installed a network and your computers. He took a desk job at the council in more of an administrative IT role, before quitting aged 50 to become - wait for it - a tanker driver.

His course in life influenced me heavily. I spent my childhood and teens mucking about with the mountains of broken computers in the house, and helping my dad out building computers, pulling cables through walls, and on occasional building jobs, carrying bricks etc. I ended up with a few jobs in tech support and at 21 took a degree in Computer Science, from which I ended up as an ASP.NET developer.

I've always been glad that the IT side wasn't all I've had - I've been instilled with a wealth of practical, hands-on experience that really helps every day at work. It teaches you to think outside the box and find practical solutions in a way that can't be taught at university.

My mother? Hasn't had a job for 6 years - happy for the state to pay her mortgage claiming incapacity benefits she doesn't need, and to keep claiming them after her father died and the inheritance paid her mortgage. She simply isn't willing to work. I think it's fair to say that my dad has always been a much better example!

My father is a physical therapist and has been working for hospitals for 25 years doing outpatient work. My mother works as a university professor teaching business information systems. I didn't really inherit my career path through either of them (I'm a cyber security programmer) but I certainly have been influenced by them. I hope to match the work ethic, pride, and patience of my father some day.

Edit: spelling

Fresh Paint

My Dad is an immigrant and signed up for the military when he got over here. He was a JAG Officer in the military for 30+ years (military lawyer/advisor). Mom owned many successful businesses and sold them once they grew. I work with the military (not in it) and Im not allowed to talk about what I do, its fun and at the end of the day I know I am aiding the soldier.