Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project: APASF ("A Post-Apocalyptic Steampunk Future")

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Project: APASF ("A Post-Apocalyptic Steampunk Future")

Cheers mate, I had never thought about it before but I though copper would really look the part on this project and then I though, well the coolant wouldnt be an issue since its prepared for copper and nickel aniway so... why not? My only worry was the fittings as you canīt sping the pipe in to place like with normal liquid cooling tubing, luckily my local plumbing suplies shop came up with the solution. Right now the only doubt I have about the loop is where to place the pump as my idea places the pump a fair pipe distance from the reservoir and Iīm wondering if that would cause any issue, donīt see why though.

A real modder blatantly refusing to let the case restrict the components to be used.

ATX Mental Case

Update.

Today Iīve started to cut and test mount the side covers. While they look like wood, they are plastic and they are not the final look, they simply come like that from the store, I will be using vinyl and ageing process so they match the PSU. The same treatment will be done on both sides of the case.

Originally I was going to use rubber covers for the cuts so they donīt look sharp, however in order to add more "wood" to the design, I will be using the same parts cut in half as on the side, this should increase the wood/copper ratio of the final look.

Iīve also ordered all the liquid cooling stuff I need, and it will hopefully arrive on Friday so I have the weekend to mount everything and start and finish the front of the case so on Monday I can go to the plumbing suplies shop and cut, test mount and buy all remaining fittings and copper tubing to complete the loop.

If the parts donīt come by friday Iīll have to delay the plumbing details till tuesday or wednesday which will only give me a 2 day painting window to finish the project, so itīd definately cutting it short, but I feel confident at this point.

Aniway, photos!

Hopefully more tomorrow.

FINISH HIM!!!

seriously ... i love how this is not fitting in the case and the solid copper is mouth watering... i love this case and you just started

ATX Mental Case

Thanks mate! : ) It seems NZXT really liked what I did with the PSU and have posted it on their FB and Tweeter, one of their reps has also congratulated me over at HardForum <3

ATX Mental Case

Quick Update.

It doesnīt seem like much but it took me all the time I had to spare today to do this, the steel on this case is really stubborn (specially on the back where itīs thicker)!

Aniway, the screws I ordered (yes I had to order them, it seems no one locally had 3mm x 50mm screws) arrived and I they did the job perfectly, now the GPUs are properly secured.

And all the borders have been cut to size and test mounted. Some trimming left to do on them and adjusting for a perfect fit, but itīs really starting to take shape now.

Aniway, more tomorrow hopefully.

ATX Mental Case

First update of the day...

To freshen up your memory, this is what the front looked like once I had cut out everything I didnt need out of it, remember that originally it had 2 doors and all sorts of things.

So I cut a further section to incorporate a new idea I had for the front (which you will partially see by the end of this update but not completely by a long shot till, with a bit of luck, the second and final update of today (i.e. tonight).

I then filled it all up with epoxy filler.

Once it was dry I started with what will become a couple of hours of sanding.

Thatīs how it looked yesterday before I called it a day and went out for a drink as I needed to disconnect badly.

Today, I started fresh this morning at around 10am and continued sanding until it was ready.

Next I used a bit of filler for the places where it had created air bubbles and ended up empty and continued sanding until it was as ready as it was ever going to be with the limited timeframe I have left (I no longer feel my hands lol).

Next I cleaned it up and aplied the vinyl (yes the front will be going in that wood look, the same as the PSU).

I thend modified the picture frame I had bought so it will simply slide in and "hug" the bottom and sides of the frontal.

Lastly and more importantly, I aplied all the ageing effects to both the vinyl and the frame and put them togueter.

Later today I will be triming the leftovers and keep on working on the rest of the design of the frontal.

Until then.

ATX Mental Case

I know I said only one more update today... but Iīve just finished the front of the case, or at least until the package from Lamptron arrives, fingers crossed it arrives before friday or I wont meet my deadline.

Point is, Iīm in love with how it turned out so I wanted to come upstairs and post it so you guys can see it.

So what I did is, using the back of the back plastic of the frame, I sanded it down and throw some matt black paint on it. I cut it down to size and fit it in the opening. I then added two screws on the back of the middle of the frontal of the case to hang the 2 mini-pocket-watches from. I then stack them to the back plate using a bit of hot glue.

Mounted the frame on the case to make sure it all looked ok before I screwed the frame in (with itīs glass).

All good, then I put the glass in and screwed the frame on to the frontal and aplied the same paint effect to the screws so they would not be visible. I also added the same effect to the borders of the glass to make it look old and stained.

And the result...

3rd and last update for today later on.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I have to admit, the whole appeal of steampunk has utterly passed me by. I just don't see the point or, to a lesser degree, the appeal but.... and it's a big but.... I can't help but admire your attention to detail and the work you're putting into this so two thumbs up and keep up the good stuff

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

ATX Mental Case

Thank you very much slaveofconvention.

At the end of the day, the fact is modding is about, i believe, personal taste, and of course no matter how much you may love something youīve done, it isnt going to be to everyoneīs likes, I would think thatīs impossible.

However I thank you for commenting mentioning this and yet being able to apreciate the work and detailing in it.

I hope you follow the worklog and you might find in the end you like it a bit more as it isnt just steampunk, the post-apocalyptic theme is in there as well, maybe not as obvious in the front but it will be in the rest of the case.

Regardless, again, thanks! : )