Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Igniter System

Default Remote Igniter System

So I am wanting to build a remote igniter system for model rockets among other things. and I have picked up most of the parts already just lacking a box. I am contemplating a second battery holder in series to bump it from 6v to 12v. but here is a schematic I drew up real quick and you more experienced than I can trouble shoot, ask questions, make suggestions, and tear me apart if you feel necessary.

I rotated this before I uploaded it and it still uploaded sideways I will try and fix that but until then here it is

Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Default Re: Remote Igniter System

My old rocket box has a barrel key switch for arming, which then lights up multiple flashing red LEDs and an audible alarm. The launch switch is actually dual push buttons in series.

Rocketry is fun, but the nuts who run California have made it very difficult and expensive as a hobby. I haven't launched in years.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    My old rocket box has a barrel key switch for arming, which then lights up multiple flashing red LEDs and an audible alarm. The launch switch is actually dual push buttons in series.

Rocketry is fun, but the nuts who run California have made it very difficult and expensive as a hobby. I haven't launched in years.
    take it apart and take pictures haha
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

So what actually ignites the motor? A make-shift spark plug or super-hot filament of some sort?
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

NiChrome wire, it arcs out and creates a lot of heat between 5 and 16 volts if I remember right. You can also use steel wool with match tips or a several various other things.

An electric match...nice.

I would add a second button in series (like TLHarrell mentioned) to actually launch just for 'nanny' safety reasons. It's better to have too much safety than to accidentally take a rocket to the face.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

And the audible warning of being armed is nice too. Gives everybody a heads up if the controls are live. I was also occasionally carrying a gel pack battery and strobe light when I was out with friends doing many launches. That is easily switched with a small relay. You shoot more than one or two, and crowds show up.

I'll have to see if I can find my last box. I think it's around the garage somewhere.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

One safety is enough, there are two in play here a brain and a safety toggle. My store bought remote came with far less many moons ago I am not overly concerned with adding more complicity to this.

I redesigned and cleaned up the diagram yesterday let me know if it still looks like a good circuit or not.

Firing LED not needed. You won't be looking at it when the rocket is launching. Now, a continuity check LED, that's useful. Lights up when system is armed and the igniter is good.

I want it so that I have visual confirmation that the voltage is going out to the device in case of a non ignition.