Thread: Paint color matching.

Default Paint color matching.

When I go to the hardware store and get paint matched to my NES, should I do the same sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint process as with spray paint? I'm pretty sure the stuff they match is latex based. Should I do a top clear-coat to seal it?

Thanks. I'm planning to mod and paint the keyboard and mouse for the NES PC.

Water Cooled

Default Re: Paint color matching.

I hope I understand your question correctly....
    You plan to buy some house paint that is color matched to an NES game box?

yeah the paint they are dealing with at hardware stores is usually (latex based) house paint. Your NES is probably colored with a vinyl dye plus it has a texture. If you sand latext paint you'll be getting a smooth finish that might not match the NES plastic texture. In this instance I would recomend sparying it on and leaving the "orange peel" look to match the other components. Also Yes you will want several clear coats to protect the keys and mouse otherwise use will wear off the paint quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevinzol
    I hope I understand your question correctly....
    You plan to buy some house paint that is color matched to an NES game box?
    Yeah. It is house paint. Can you get any other type of paint made to match?

you can get any color and any type of paint you like. the problem lies in where you can get it. try automotive outlets, paint suppliers. Make some calls and see what kind of feedback you get.

Awesome, thanks. I'm planning on modding the keyboard and mouse for the NES PC, so I'll just need the two shades of gray custom. I just don't think it would be right if I didn't do the mouse and keyboard with it. I'm considering the possibility of adding NES controller buttons and incorporating some other NES case items. I think it will add a whole lot to the whole mod.

Fresh Paint

Look for an automotive paint retailer in your area. I work part-time at one and we do color matches all the time. You can get any sheen and any color you like. Only problem with that is the paint needs to be sprayed, and most places don't make aerosols on the spot. As far as I know and understand, the place I work at is the only one on the east coast that does. The other problem is cost. Some paints can cost as much as a few hundred dollars per Qt., but that's usually top end paint with expensive pearl's (metal flake) in it. The good news is that even the cheap auto paints are very tough (durable) for household use.

If they can't make an aero for you, you can also buy a "touch-up" sprayer, which is a small jar attached to a compressed canister with a spray can type nozel (I can get you the name and post it tomorrow after work). You can also use an airbrush to spray auto paints. Otherwise you would need an automotive HVLP spray gun and compressor setup to use it.