Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fans For a New Case?

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default Fans For a New Case?

I plan to purchase the new Cooler Master HAF XM case for my next computer, as that case appears to be very awesome, but I notice that it has room for additional fans beyond the fans that it has already, so I would like to ask for recommendations from the other users here for fans to fill the empty spaces in that case.

I seek 200 millimeter fans, ideally, for the side panel and the top of the case, but I shall accept 120 millimeter or 140 millimeter fans if I cannot find acceptable 200 mm fans. I desire such fans to provide acceptable airflow, not be excessively loud, and to have sturdy construction. Can anyone here provide me with recommendations for such fans? I would greatly appreciate that.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: Fans For a New Case?

Depends. Are you air cooling or water cooling. Different fans are better for different tasks.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    Depends. Are you air cooling or water cooling. Different fans are better for different tasks.
    I shall be using air cooling for my next computer, so what can you say about that?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

The NZXT 200mm and the Xigmatek 200mm are both pretty nice.

I started this thread to ask about fans for my next computer, but my current computer may be in need of additional fans, as well. The case that I currently am using has two fans, one in the front, for intake, and one in the rear, for exhaust, and has space on its side panel for two additional fans, measuring either 140 millimeters or 180 millimeters.

I do not typically engage in any intense computational tasks, but would it be wise to have the additional cooling for my computer? And, can anyone here recommend any fans for my case? Thank you very much.

I just purchased these two fans for my computer-one for the case, and one for the CPU-because I wish to extend the lifespan of my current computer for as long as is possible, because I just spent a large amount of money to purchase a new car, and thus shall not be able to upgrade my computer at any point in the near future. My case already has a front and a rear fan, but I shall install the new fan on the side, for additional air intake; my current case does not have the capacity for a fan on its top, but my next case definitely shall, and I shall likely keep the CPU cooler for my next machine (I hope that it is compatible with AMD's newest FX-series processors). Both products had very positive reviews, so I chose to purchase them, and the fact that each has a mail-in rebate is awesome, as well, as I shall be regaining almost half of the total price of my purchase with both of them.

I installed the case fan yesterday (I shall install the CPU cooler later, as that shall be a more difficult task), and it works well, thus far. It has decent airflow, and is extremely quiet; it does produce some noise, but it is so slight that it is not noticeable unless one puts their ear near the fan. I actually would like to purchase a second case fan, but my computer's motherboard does not have enough fan connectors for me to install another fan (I shall be certain that when I upgrade my motherboard, I get a unit that has a sufficient number of fan connectors for every fan that I shall use). Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase.

You can always wire fans directly to a spare molex connector. You could also buy a dedicated fan controller for in a drive bay, and wire many more fans to that.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    You can always wire fans directly to a spare molex connector. You could also buy a dedicated fan controller for in a drive bay, and wire many more fans to that.
    Yes, that is also a good idea, as I eventually plan to purchase the Cooler Master HAF XM case, which can have at least five case fans: one in front, one in the rear, one on the side, and two on top, or even more, if smaller fans are used, so I shall definitely need a way to power all those fans.

Oh, I'm sure with a little tweaking, you can fit WAY MORE fans than that in that case. I usually go old school style. I build a custom harness that powers all the fans. I throw in a couple nice switches somewhere to run either all the fans, or bare minimum. Same goes for lighting. All that will run right off a molex connector or two. Simple stuff.