Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project: Azza Fusion 4000 Folding Tower

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Project: Azza Fusion 4000 Folding Tower

I've been wanting to make a dedicated folding maching stuffed with GPUs for a long time and now I can do it. I'm using an Azza Fusion 4000 Tower and everything will be watercooled.

Hardware:
    Case: Azza Fusion 4000
    Motherboard: MSI 890FXA-GD70
    PSU: Sparkle Computer Corp Gold Class 1250W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular
    CPU: AMD FX8120
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator
    SSD: 128GB Crucial M4
    GPU 1: Galaxy GTX 460 768MB
    GPU 2: Galaxy GTX 460 768MB
    GPU 3: EVGA GTX 460SE 1GB
    GPU 4: EVGA GTX 460SE 1GB
    Fans: 15x120mm Aerocool Shark, 4x140mm Aerocool Shark
    Fan Acessories: 120mm and 140mm Fan filters on external fans.

Watercooling:
    CPU Block: OCZ Hydroflow HF-MK1
    GPU Blocks: Swiftech MCW60 + GTX460 adapter kit
    Pump: MCP655 with G1/4" threaded housing
    Reservoir: EK Multioption 250
    Radiator 1: XSPC EX480
    Radiator 2: XSPC EX360 Multiport
    Radiator 3: EK-CoolStream Radiator XTC (140)
    Tubing: 7/16" Clearflex
    Fittings: Bitspower 1/2" Barbs, Bitspower 90 degree rotary (to be replaced by Koolance 90 degree rotary fittings), Bitspower G1/4 Extensions, XSPC G1/4 Extensions
    SLI: Swiftech Tri-SLI bridge

Lets dive in. First I mounted the 480 and 360 rads and fans into the top compartment of the case. They will both be pulling air up and out of the top of the case.

Added a 120mm fan to the back to bring in cool air between the 2 rads.

Since there are so many fans I wanted to make sure I had good cable managment so that the air is not restricted anywhere.

And here are all of the fan cables behind the mobo tray. I'll be using 2 fan bus' to power all of them.

I removed the rear stock 140mm fan and added a 140mm rad on the back of the case. I'm a little upset that it does not fit inside the case. If I move the bottom rad up into the top compartment I may be able to but I would then limit the intake of the rear 120mm fan.

I attached some 90 degree fittings so that the tubing would have a more direct path.

Next installed the motherboard and PSU.

Attached the 2 fan bus' and connected all the fans. I wanted it to look cleaner but its hard with all the different lenghs. The side closes with no trouble so I guess thats a win.

Time for the watercooling! I installed the CPU waterblock.

Then I ran the tubing from the rear 140mm rad to the CPU block, then to the 360 rad.

I had previously installed the GPU blocks on to the GPUs so I started to attach them to the SLI bridge.

And the 2nd one attached. I put them in the case so I could check clearances.

I added the cables so I could see how it will look.

I added an old 24 pin and 8 pin extension and routed the cables.

Last up is the pump res combo. I am using a MCP655 pump and EK 250 Multioption res. I had previously bought a custom housing for the 655 so that it accepts G1/4" threads. I attached the res to the pump inlet and a 90 degree fitting for the inlet to the res. I am leaving the top port open to fill the res. Here is how it turned out.

I also added a ball valve to the bottom of the res so that I could add a tube to it and drain the system easier.

So here is how it sits today.

Cheers till next time,

Fuga

Default Re: Project: Azza Fusion 4000 Folding Tower

I bought a few things last night. Mainly fittings. Most of it is for connecting the 2 rads in the top compartment. I did some measuring and experimenting with the tubing and I found that I could make everything alot cleaner if I used a few G1/4" Extenders and 90 degree fittings. Below is what I got.

1 x Bitspower BP-BSWP-C63 G1/4" Black Sparkle IG1/4" Extender - 30mm (BP-BSWP-C63)
    4 x Bitspower BP-BSWP-C62 G1/4" Black Sparkle IG1/4" Extender - 25mm (BP-BSWP-C62)
    3 x Bitspower BP-BSWP-C65 G1/4" Black Sparkle IG1/4" Extender - 50mm (BP-BSWP-C65)
    10 x Koolance Swiveling Angle Fitting, Single (NZL-LXG1)
    4 x Bitspower G1/4" Black Sparkle Stop Fitting (BP-BSWP-C06)
    1 x FilterRight™ 120mm Aluminum Fan Filter - Black (FR120-BK)
    1 x FilterRight™ 140mm Aluminum Fan Filter - Black (FR140-BK)
    1 x Phobya Temperature Sensor Outer Thread G1/4 with Display - Blue (PH-71171)

This is going to be awesome. I assume this is the rig you're needing grilles for? Shoot me some basic sketches and I'll get some designs going.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    This is going to be awesome. I assume this is the rig you're needing grilles for? Shoot me some basic sketches and I'll get some designs going.
    Actually no. I just bought some cheap 120/140mm metal fan grills for this one. Yours will be for the Steampunk mod later this month.

Ah. Ok. Cool stuff. Shoot over some basic sketches when you're ready and I'll start cleaning them up/designing.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Few problems. The 2 3-pin fan hubs were duds. I ordered them a while ago for like $1 a piece since they were on sale at PPCs. Oh well. For now I just used the 3-pin converters and attached them all together. Kinda a mess but I'll try to fix it later.

Also... I lost a GPU. My 3rd Galaxy GTX460 died somehow. Not sure but I might be screwed if I can't get the invoice from the eBay guy I bought it from.

But some good news! I was going through my boxes and found another GTX460! Its another EVGA GTX460 SE.

So I am going to add it to the loop. Here are all the parts it takes to water cool the GPU using the universal GPU block.

Here are 3 of the cards connected to Tri-SLI bridge.

Now for the last GPU I had to get "fancy". I took a 10mm male/male extension and attached it to a cheapO Danger Den 90 degree fitting. Then I made the connection to the GPU using an extra SLI fitting I had. The result was actually really really good. The port that isn't connected yet will be connected to the pump eventually.

All 4 cards!

I made like 4 more orders for more gear. I keep realizing I need stuff so I have to do another order. I will have a nice update later in the week with lots of fittings.

Cheers till then,

Fuga

Got one of many packages in today. It contains:

4 x Bitspower BP-BSWP-C62 G1/4" Black Sparkle IG1/4" Extender - 25mm
    2 x Bitspower BP-BSWP-C65 G1/4" Black Sparkle IG1/4" Extender - 50mm
    1 x FilterRight™ 120mm Aluminum Fan Filter - Black (FR120-BK)
    1 x FilterRight™ 140mm Aluminum Fan Filter - Black (FR140-BK)
    10 x Koolance Swiveling Angle Fitting, Single
    1 x Phobya Temperature Sensor Outer Thread G1/4 with Display - Blue (PH-71171)
    4 x Bitspower G1/4" Black Sparkle Stop Fitting (BP-BSWP-C06)

I bought the Extenders so that I wouldn't have to have crazy bends in the tubing. I used a 50mm + 25mm and a 90 degree rotary fitting to get the height I needed to clear the 5.25" bay. I also used a single 25mm extender and a 90 degree rotary fitting to clear the fans. Now I just have to put a small straight piece of tubing in and the top part is done.

I decided to make some custom power cables to save space in the case. They are easy enough to make. Here you can see I made one to power all the 3.5" HDD bay PBCs.

Its hard to see but you can see the run down at the bottom of the case and to the PSU.

I also installed the 140mm and 120mm fan filters on the back of the case. These will ensure that no dust gets in. They were a bit pricey but worth it because I can take them off with ease and wash them.

I'm expecting several more packages this week so I should have this up and running very soon.

Cheers till then,

Fuga

Got a few more things in.

8GB RAM to match the mobo
    120mm fan grills
    140mm fan grill
    2 sets of Koolance QDC
    Single bay temp sensor bracket
    Koolance Flow meter and meter frequency adapter
    2x Sunbeam 6 channel fan controllers

Closer look at the fan controllers

And installed.

Installed the flow meter.

Installed the RAM and started routing the tubing.

QDC installed outside the case so I can add my radiator stand whenever I want to.

I decided to do some leak testing. Good thing I did. One of the Koolance 90 degree rotary fittings on the back 140mm rad had a bad O-ring so I replaced it and all was good.

I should be getting the last few items Wednesday or Friday. Hopefully this will be done by this weekend.

Cheers till then,

Fuga

Small update.

My flow was really really low according to the koolance flow meter. With the single MCP655 pump it was .29 GPM and with 2x DDC 350, it was .44 GPM. Ideal is 1.1-1.5 GPM in case you were wondering.

To try and fix this, I added an DDC 3.25 with a XSPC top between the top two radiators. I also changed the way the rads perform by making them work in serial rather than parallel.

As I was doing this the koolance flow meter broke... I emaild Koolance and I think they will send me a new one. These things are very fragile so if you are thinking about getting one, be careful.

Some good news is I got Win 7 64-bit installed and I started folding yesterday. I'll post some cooling specs this weekend. More to come.

Cheers till then,

Fuga

I wasn't aware of there being an ideal flow rate for water cooling. As long as you have ample head pressure and water is moving, everything is good. Water can absorb a lot more heat than your hardware can ever dump into it...so you don't have to worry about maintaining any specific rate.

Is this for the TBCS folding team?
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.