Thread: Asus K60IJ - Won't Turn On or Charge - No Lights

Default Asus K60IJ - Won't Turn On or Charge - No Lights

Title says it all. Tried two chargers, nothing. Tried without battery and plugged in. Nothing. Just nothing at all. It's really weird. The person said he turned it off and now it won't turn back on. Didn't kick it or anything like that.

Any ideas? If you need more information, let me know and I'll gladly provide what I know.

Default Re: Asus K60IJ - Won't Turn On or Charge - No Lights

Teardown and check power plug where it attaches to the mobo. I bet there's a broken solder joint there.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Yeah we looked at that too, because it's one of those weird models where the entire backplate comes off and reveals everything. It seems fine, though.

I'm just stumped on what it could be. It won't show any lights when plugged in, such as when it's charging. So it's not taking a charge. The battery is seemingly dead too, because it won't even make a blip of any kind when you try turning it on.

I can't see any damage or burn marks or anything like that looking at it opened up. But again, all he did was turn it off and then it simply wouldn't turn back on when he attempted to do so.

Edit:

My other friend has an Asus G73 where this same thing happened. It can't be the batteries, because it would still be able to run with the power adapter plugged in. And, even when it's plugged in, there are no charging lights or anything like that. So... ? This is very weird.

Somebody told me the same thing about a Nintendo DSi. It wouldn't do a thing when plugged in. Charge light would flicker once and go off. No power. Cracked it open and the casing around the WiFi module was rusty, and there were bits of dissolved copper all over the internal components. Who knows how many parts on that board were fried. Total writeoff.

I'd go start tracing around the power modulation/charging circuits on the mobo. See if you can follow voltage from the power connector inward.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Wouldn't it still power on with the battery though?

I think the motherboard is just dead somewhere. I can't see any burn marks or anything out of place, but I can't think of any other reason either. I'm not sure if that's the same case with the G73, but they're both Asus, so I bet there's a related problem between the two since they both have exactly the same symptoms.

I wish manufacturers would just make reliable equipment for once.

I've seen this before! I just stripped all the components from the laptop (ram, wifi, hdd, optical drive, etc) and then tried to power it up.

With the ram out, you should get an error beep. If still nothing, I'd had luck with reseating the CPU.

Do you have another power brick to test with, or can you meter the brick to make sure it's outputting power?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Yeah we've tried multiple bricks and the like. It's definitely the laptop. I tried re-seating the ram but to no avail. It's just dead as doorknob apparently.

Reseat the CPU if you can.. last ditch effort, but I've had it work a few times.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro