Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nexus 7 Tablet

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Default Nexus 7 Tablet

Is anyone keeping up on the Nexus 7 Tablet that google annouced?

I was thinking about picking one up as it's surprisingly affordable. I pretty much just want to use it for content consumption and browsing the web. If it's capable enough maybe ill buy some casual games. I was originally thinking iPad but at the iPad price point I almost want to just keep saving for a laptop.

What do you guys think?
    To weak? To small? Just right?

I'd say my biggest complaint is the lack of expandable storage. Almost guarantee's that I'll end up buying the more expensive model just so that I don't run out of storage space. My other concern is that the seven inch screen wont be big enough for browsing, but at the same time, it should be beasier to type on than the larger 10 inch tablets.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Default Re: Nexus 7 Tablet

Would work really well out in the workshop for media streaming (internet radio) and for occasionally looking stuff up.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

I had a 10 inch tablet for a week and hated the size of it. i think the 7 inch would be big enough to browse but small enough to fit in your pocket or car.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

Custom Title Honors

i have a nook color with cyanogenmod loaded up. i really like the size of the 7" tablet. it's great for browsing while watching tv on the couch, it's really super portable, etc etc etc.

i say go for the nexus tab when it's available.

I have been following it and kept myself from pre-ordering it a couple of times now. I bought a cheap $60 Velocity Micro tablet running Android 2.2 off of Woot not too long ago to get my feet wet. Now that I think I could get some mileage out of a tablet I am ready to move on up. I looked at the Kindle Fire and the Nook.. but with no BlueTooth, Front facing camera, and GPS they aren't much of a step up from the Velocity Micro. The one gain would have been processor and GPU which the Velocity Mirco is non-existent. The one concern I have is the lack of expandable storage. It would be sooo much better if they would just include an SD slot on it.

I was also thinking about waiting out the Windows Surface and other Win8/WinRT offerings. I haven't messed with Win8 yet but generally I think the Windows route would be a better fit for my needs. I don't have alot of faith in the RT version but the Win8 pro version should run just about anything I would need it to. But so far it looks like the price tag isn't going to be worth it for me. So far I have seen some "leaked" pricing for the RT version being $599 and the full blown Win 8 pro version being $999. The Acer Iconia offering looks like its going to be between $599 and $799. I don't think I can get enough use out of it to justify shelling out that kind of money. I figure eventually after Dell, HP, Asus, and Acer fight it out there will be some better deals out there, but for now I think I will just wait with something like the Nexus 7.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luciusad2004 View Post
    I pretty much just want to use it for content consumption and browsing the web.
    I would think the Kindle Fire would be the choice for these needs. As far as content for the device, Amazon is hard to beat.

I already pay for Amazon Prime, so the choice would be the Fire for me.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I have an ASUS Transformer TF300 and love it to bits although I have to admit it's sometimes a little large and maybe I could find a use for a 7" tablet. Problem is, with the 10" I have already it's very hard to justify any expense on something so similar (plus the wife has a Kindle Fire which I can *cough* acquire)

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    I would think the Kindle Fire would be the choice for these needs. As far as content for the device, Amazon is hard to beat.

I already pay for Amazon Prime, so the choice would be the Fire for me.
    You do realize that you can still load the free Amazon app and have access to your Amazon Prime content on the Nexus 7?

Plus you get a better screen, faster processor, and more features (Front facing camera, Bluetooth, NFC, and GPS for location aware apps) for the same price! Its also thinner and lighter and I believe has better battery life, not to mention a true current Android OS rather then a stripped down one, unless you want to reload it with a custom ROM. I would agree with you if the 2 tablets had a significant price difference, but right now the better money is on the Fire.

I have to say one appealing fact in it being a "Nexus" is when Google comes out with updates to Android the Nexus brand gets them right up front instead of having to wait for either a carrier or other vendor to update their devices.

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

On my n7 right now. It's awesome, super fast and buttery smooth. This is my first tablet, so I have no real experience to weigh in with.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    You do realize that you can still load the free Amazon app and have access to your Amazon Prime content on the Nexus 7?
    No actually, I had no idea. That's a game-changer then. Thanks.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”