Thread: Ouya

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Default Ouya

What are your takes on the open Android gaming console?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...o-game-console

I think it's gonna be awesome, definitely need to spice up the market.

Default Re: Ouya

Basically, it's bringing Android to the TV. That's a fantastic idea if executed properly.

The name needs to be changed though. It doesn't stick in your head, it's going to be odd for people to try and pronounce when they read it, tell others about it, etc. I had to watch the video just to make sure how to pronounce it. Later today, I'm probably not even going to remember it.

"With all our technological advancements, shouldn't costs be going down? Gaming could be cheaper!"
    No, costs should be going up. It's going to be more and more costly as technology develops. The technology itself will become continually cheaper, sure, but that's only part of the equation. Just the time and energy needed from the developers themselves and the machines they're using is a large part of the cost. Etc etc.

So no, costs shouldn't be going down. As technology advances the quality of gaming advances, which means it takes more time, more power, more people, etc. The costs ultimately go up.

On the Android platform and on a technological platform of only $100, the story might be a bit different and I think that's probably what they meant by the above quote. When it comes to casual gaming of this specific type, costs not only should go down, they *are* down. There are a metric ton of apps of all types, not just games, that are just a few dollars, *or less*.

The quote is just kind of a weird one and is a small red flag for me, but hopefully it's just a poorly worded statement. However, there are other statements that are also just as foolish.

"OUYA could change AAA game development, too. Forget about licensing fees, retail fees, and publishing fees."
    Okay, now that's a large red flag. There is absolutely no way that a $100 box can produce AAA titles, let alone people who would be developing for it. Producing AAA titles is rather expensive about... 99.9% of the time. I just don't see that ever happening. Again, it goes back to the quote above. The initial investments alone are substantial, unless you plan to release this supposed "AAA Title" years down the road, which would require this box to be still around and successful by then.

Fee's are nothing in comparison to everything else. They're not roadblocks, they're simply bumps in the road. They can be rather large bumps at times, but that's all. Especially for someone who has the time and energy to make a game of such quality and standard that it can be considered "AAA".

It's just a foolish statement. I hope that's all it is.

Otherwise, it looks rather promising and even a bit exciting. I'm very interested to see where it goes. If it actually launches and at an affordable price, and if it gathers enough interest and enough development, I would definitely be interested. That's a lot to overcome, though. So we'll see.

Default Re: Ouya

Have these people not heard of the PC?
    Google search for free game engines
    • I play PC games on my TV all the time. My TV is my main monitor.
    • The game console is the devkit? Not if you want halfway decent games...
    • AAA titles will never be developed for this due to silly exclusive contracts that will pop up if/when major consoles feel the least bit threatened. You won't see any AAA titles exclusive to this console anytime soon, if ever.
    • The name is too similar to the Wii.

The only thing I can think of that it might do well is distract the morons that keep trying to hack the PS3 and 360 consoles. Though that will mean that this system will probably be riddled with malicious code after not so long. It's why we can't have nice things after all...
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.