Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMD is Not Better at Gaming!

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default AMD is Not Better at Gaming!

I'm tired of these guys and their "expert" buddies who tell them they have to buy AMD because they are better at gaming. Bullcrap. Even Intel's i5 2500K, spanks AMD's 8 core FX8150. AMD makes good chips, but nothing about them is better than Intel

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=288
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Default Re: AMD is Not Better at Gaming!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    I'm tired of these guys and their "expert" buddies who tell them they have to buy AMD because they are better at gaming. Bullcrap. Even Intel's i5 2500K, spanks AMD's 8 core FX8150. AMD makes good chips, but nothing about them is better than Intel

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=288
    Almost everyone I work with gets all hot and bothered over AMD chips. Everytime it comes up they are all like "Why are you looking at Intel, you should be looking at AMD!!!!" It actually makes me want their processors less. Now I know that i'm horribly out of date when it comes to what the best processors are but I rememeber when the Core Series started coming out and and all the reviews were coming in saying they were really competitive with the AMD stuff.

/Rant
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    ...nothing about them is better than Intel

Except the price.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    Except the price.
    Most of the time .. but not always.

If you look at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html

The highest scoring AMD cpu is the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T and its priced at $339.00 Yet all the Intel CPU's above it, all the way up to the Core i7-2600K are priced less, and score considerably higher.

There is no doubt that the AMD X4 965 is a great deal at 109.99, but bottom line seeing a 965 run next to a i7 920 (which is clocked almost a ghz less then the AMD) I could see a noticeable difference, and it was in the i7's favor. Granted the 920 is 150+ dollars more, it just seem like you might pay more but you really get alot more.

Isn't it funny how you have to compare old Gen amd cpus because comparing to new Gen amd is just unfair
    2500k is the all around king of the hill for me and for those in America and near or in some peoples cases working at a microcenter there is always great deals and often combos with mobos. That make the 2500k superb value.

Custom Title Honors

amd sockets are easier to understand. :/

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    amd sockets are easier to understand. :/
    Not at all! Different sockets are compatable with different ones...

Intel. 1156 fits 1156... 775 fits 775...

Since when was an 1100T $339? Last I checked it was around $199, maybe lower. Yup, definitely lower.

The whole deal comes from back in the days of Athlon XP and the original Athlon 64, all the way up to the X2s. Back then AMD was ahead by sometimes 300%. If you wanted to game, you got AMD. Intel's superdeep pipeline was much more suited to workplace tasks, while the relatively short but rather fast AMD pipeline fared much better in gaming loads, without giving up much in desktop performance at the same time. The statements today are mostly just remembering that time and not realizing that the world moves on rather quickly in computers.

That said, my wife's 1090T does very well against my i5-3570K.

As for sockets, not all 775 processors work in 775 boards. 1155 vs 1156, and why did they need to keep changing sockets? Currently there are three supported sockets that we would call "mainstream" with one that may be retired but is just as fast and an old one that people still readily use. AMD has two, FM1 and AM3+.
    Last edited by Kayin; 07-18-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    Since when was an 1100T $339? Last I checked it was around $199, maybe lower. Yup, definitely lower.
    I was kind of wondering about that.. Apparently they primarily use Newegg and Amazon for pricing. Since neither of them have that CPU available it must just list the last price they had.

Unfortunately the 2 vendors that have it priced at 160ish dollars kind of looke a little fly by night if you know what I mean. But from the others on the list it looks like you can get one for a few bucks less or right around the same price as an i5 2500, depending on shipping and tax.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

We sell the 8150 for $199 and the 2500K for $179. It's annoying that people will spend more money to get less of a Gaming level CPU. Usually it's because their "Expert" (Stupid) friend tells them that AMD is better.

We have a guy working for us who bought a new Z77 board and a 2500K because we told him that it's a great chip. Then his "Expert" (Stupid) friend told him that he should have bought an AMD because. . . . . . . .Why??

It's better at gaming......

Mind you, I have two computers in my office. One with an 1090T and the other with a 2600K
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440