Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom-Made Radio Receiver/Boombox Ideas

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default Re: Custom-Made Radio Receiver/Boombox Ideas

The responses that I have received here have convinced me that I should use a material other than the aluminum plate that I initially wished to use, but is it feasible to use natural wood, rather than MDF, as I greatly prefer natural wood? And what about the slotted steel bars that I wish to use for the frame of the device? Will I still be able to use those if I construct the case from MDF or wood?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Slotted steel bars? If you build the structure from MDF, you won't need a steel frame. MDF is natural wood, just turned to fine fibers and pressed to a higher density. Of course, I'm not here to design your stuff for you or to try to change your mind on it, but MDF is by far the best choice. I would recommend grabbing a small piece from Home Depot (or wherever you have locally) and trying it out.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    Slotted steel bars? If you build the structure from MDF, you won't need a steel frame.
    I was worried that you would say that, as I like steel; it is one of my favorite materials to use, and I really wish to use it for my device, because most other music-playing devices tend to be made of some form of plastic, which would make my device seem much more "cool" or "badass" in comparison to them.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

That's not to say you can't add a steel frame to the MDF box, but it would be decorative/protective, not the actual structure. I could see an MDF box with steel "roll cage" looking construction. That would give you the badass look, but maintain an airtight, stiff enclosure for the speakers to sound good. You probably also want this thing to be able to be carried. Keeping weight down is a good thing.

Plastic is not good for speaker enclosures. The manufacturers use it because they can shoot out parts quickly and cheaply after the initial investment of a forming die. It's reasonably durable, and looks cool sitting on the shelf at WalMart. A proper speaker box should be rock solid, heavy walled and not flexible.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

If you want the real wood look, go with MDF (strength, stiffness, cost), and veneer it. You can get all kinds of amazing veneers, including stuff that you wouldnt be able to afford (or use) as actual structural material.

41hz.com makes some awesome small 12v amp kits, I recommend them. High power, high efficiency, small size. Get some efficient drivers, and you can rock for several hours at max volume from a small 12v (motorcycle) battery.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

After considering the newest responses to this thread, I still am very uncertain as to what my exact plan shall be for my own personal and custom-built music-playing device. However, I shall not be seriously pursuing this project for quite some time, as I currently cannot afford to do so, so I shall have ample time to deliberate it before I actually begin to work on it, so I do thank everyone who has responded to this thread for their feedback on this subject.

This thread has been inactive for a long time, but I am reviving it because I recently had a new idea for it.

Rather than building a custom body for my boombox, why not purchase one that is already assembled? Recently, at a hardware store, I saw a toolbox that was made completely of aluminum with a diamond pattern, in approximately the size and shape that I wish to use for my device. Such a box seems to be ideal, to me, as it saves me the trouble of needing to cut custom-sized sheets of metal and them weld them together and certainly looks "tough" because of the material from which it is made.

Does anyone have anything to say about that?

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDragonJ View Post
    This thread has been inactive for a long time, but I am reviving it because I recently had a new idea for it.

Rather than building a custom body for my boombox, why not purchase one that is already assembled? Recently, at a hardware store, I saw a toolbox that was made completely of aluminum with a diamond pattern, in approximately the size and shape that I wish to use for my device. Such a box seems to be ideal, to me, as it saves me the trouble of needing to cut custom-sized sheets of metal and them weld them together and certainly looks "tough" because of the material from which it is made.

Does anyone have anything to say about that?
    Do it haha

I currently have a black diamond check toolbox that has been taped ready to be cut to take speakers. Was going to reinforce the inside with mdf and turn it into a heavy duty boombox

I've seen people do similar things with suitcases and stuff, so I say go for it.