This is (for the moment) a work in progress review; I'll be updating this review as I complete each part. Also, WARNING: large images ahead.

The Unboxing:

During the San Diego Comic-Con, I was following AMD Gaming on Twitter when I saw the following tweet:

So, one quick retweet and 24 hours later, I got a direct message that I'd be receiving an AMD A8-3870K Black Edition APU to review. For those who haven't heard, AMD Advanced Processing Units, or APU's, bring together an AMD CPU and a Radeon Graphics Core onto the same die, and the A8-3870K is the top of the line, unlocked version designed for the PC enthusiast. Over the next month or so, I'll be posting my build around this APU and then running it through its paces!

After two and a half weeks of sheer anticipation, this rather nondescript box arrived at my door:

Inside, under several layers of protective pink bubble wrap, I found my new APU in its box!

Taking the APU out of the box revealed the included cooler (in its cardboard box), folded instructions, and the A8-3870K in clear plastic.

Here's some close-ups on the APU & the included cooler:

Stay tuned for my test system & the benchmarks on the A8-3870K APU!