Thread: Should I keep it? Or sell?

Default Should I keep it? Or sell?

Last week I was given an HP 8125x, as part of the payment for helping someone migrate to a new system.

Q6600, 2gb ram, 320gb hdd.

I have a 20" LCD already, 4gb of ram for it, and a couple of fast/large drives to choose from.

I was planning on keeping it, and using it for myself at home, as I've only got a Mac mini and a dead netbook atm.

However, I got an offer to sell it ($150 CAD just for the tower, as is).. so I'm now unsure about what to do. It's a perfectly usable computer for what I want (recording, net usage), but I might not get the chance to sell it if I wait longer.

I could put the cash towards any number of other projects/toys, or put it towards a newer computer.. but who knows how long that will take to purchase...

I could pick up a decent GPU for it right now, and have a system capable of playing a few older titles for almost nothing.. what to do?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Default Re: Should I keep it? Or sell?

I would sell. Selling gets you some money now, which you won't get later. Getting it up and running will cost you money. I don't think adopting new projects with attached costs is a great way to get paid for work, so I would go for selling it.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

I'd sell too.

I'd buy the monitor if you were in America

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    I would sell. Selling gets you some money now, which you won't get later. Getting it up and running will cost you money. I don't think adopting new projects with attached costs is a great way to get paid for work, so I would go for selling it.
    couldn't have put it better
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Sorry guys, I decided to keep it. I plugged in all of my salvaged gear last night, and did a complete service on it (OMG one of the dirtiest ever) and a system recovery. It's screaming along already, pulling all the updates and such, and clearing all the bloatware.

Once it's done, I'll make a system restore point and capture the image. I'm going to use it as a test bed for working with WIM files; my goal is to reinject the new image into the recovery partition so it'll system restore to this point the next time it needs to be done.

Plus it's fast enough for Dragon Age, which is pretty much the only game (ok, and Diablo 3) that I see myself playing any time soon.

TBH, work is paying all my bills, so work on the side like this is just extra cash. Plus it was for a friend who is strapped for money anyways, so I did her a favor and got a free computer out of the deal.

I *might* sell it in a few months anyways, once I know it's completely stable and have it all tweaked up.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

TL;DR

I kept it, used salvage parts, spent nothing, might sell later.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

I figured it was a friend. I wasn't trying to put them down by saying they were paying you in a crappy way, but you know that.

Congrats on the new rig! Put some pics up when you can.

Lol.. dead stock HP 8125x. Just imagine a typical HP media centre computer with the big removeable drive bay in the front.

Although I did manage to stuff a 1gb 9600gt (passive) in there, and added a 90mm fan to blow across it.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    I figured it was a friend. I wasn't trying to put them down by saying they were paying you in a crappy way, but you know that.
    No worries, no offense taken.

If I didnt have the parts on hand to upgrade this and use it already, I would have just resold it.. this way I can use it for a bit, and maybe sell it later.. for a bit more money, since it's now a much more powerful/useful machine.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/