Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Making gaming comp, need help

maximan1

Default Making gaming comp, need help

I will be installing a water cooler on the processor instead of the fan, because I want to overclock it. Currently iy id 233 mhz, and I want it to perform like a 500 mhz. Somebody please help me I dont know how to do anything.

Link to computer:
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=2933

Thanks guys

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Making gaming comp, need help

A link to your full pc spec would be handy, need to know your motherboard make, cpu make and model ect ect.

If you cant find the spec, download a program called CPU-Z, it will tell you the make/model of every piece of hardware you have in your box.

maximan1

ok then I will have to put it all back together (its in the process of being painted)

Dude...totally!

if it only runs at 233mhz, honestly, you need an upgrade. no offense, personally, i think that the only thing a 233 is good for is the heatsink, cuz theyre easy to chop up and add to your north bridge or some other hot spot. now, i can understand if you cant afford to buy any sort of upgrades, but you also need to consider, that even if you can overclock on that motherboard, seeing as how its a compaq its unlikely, that youre not going to get over double your current processor speed. i think that the only way that would be possible would be on a high end motherboard with some sort of phase change cooling. but upon further investigation, if your compaq is in fact a Compaq Presario 7470. it should already be clocked around 500mhz stock. but still the only games youll ever get to run on that thing is possibly quake 3, which is actually one of my personal favorites still, heh. but do notice that i said quake 3, not doom 3 or quake 4. those are a bit out of your performance range at the moment, but then again, you might just be doing for the sake of doing it, which i highly support. so if you have any questions about pushing your pc, keep askin and well keep answerin

maximan1

Yo its a Halo themed comp so I hope it will play Halo.
    So I don't get it can I overclock at least a lil bit? And yes it is a Compaq 7470, it runs real fast and smooth but needs a good video card instead of the onboard video card thats there now...all the images are grainy. VERY grainy. Anyways I am putting a water cooling thing instead of the fan and I downloaded CPU-Z and I'm about to install it well thanks peeples later!

Dude...totally!

heres what i found listed as the minimum specs youll need to run halo, and usually this means running it at low everything most likely

* Microsoft® Windows® 98SE/Me/XP/2000
    * PC with 733 MHz equivalent or higher processor
    * 128 MB of system RAM
    * 1.2 GB available hard disk space
    * 8x speed or faster CD-ROM drive
    * 32 MB T&L capable video card required
    * Sound card, speakers or headphones required for audio
    * Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
    * 56.6 Kbps or better modem or LAN for online play; broadband to run a server

btw, i think you only have a agp 2x slot in there, so im not even sure what video cards are out there that run on a 2x slot, usually they require at least a 4x these days. either way, im sure you can beef up your system just enough to be able to play the game.

maximan1

I AM beefing up the comp, and I have a question about that.
    Where can I get the cheepest parts? I've already found a slot load cd rom drive but if anybody can find me a slot load dvd rom drive for about $20 it would be appreciated!

Thanks and BTW peeps I'm takin the biggest chance with this comp; I'm making my own water coooling system PLEASE I NEED ENCOURAGING WORDS NOW!!! Well anyway thanx
    -Max

maximan1

O yeah i forgot to tell y'all I'm putting in a new grafix card

maximan1

O yeah can I clock it to 733 mhz? (sorry for triple posting)

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by maximan1
    O yeah can I clock it to 733 mhz? (sorry for triple posting)
    chances are no, most likely you can't overclock at all. Big computer manufacturers make computers geared towards long life and outlasting their warranty which means overclocking is generally disabled in the BIOS. What you need to do is get into the BIOS and tell is what controls you have (if any).

To enter your BIOS turn off your comp and turn it back on when the BIOS Load screen comes up (probably going to be the compaq logo) hit the "Del" key.... er at least that is the default key sometimes it is also "esc" or possibly one of the function keys but it should tell you what to press. Go through it, explore, look for something that say's "Advanced" or "chipset" or "CPU Configuration" something along those lines.... if you can't overclock tell us exactly what model your CPU is and I'm sure someone on here can find somewhere you can purchase a more powerful processor to replace it with... I know you can still get K6II's for like $20 new and unused so there is still hope.
    Visit my site --> Kansas City LAN and Tech Promo Site <--

Asus A8R-MVP
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (2.64ghz)
    ATI Saphire Radeon X1600 Pro x2 crossfire
    Corsair Twinx2048-3500LL