Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking at a new ride...

Default Looking at a new ride...

Not computer related, but I am in the process of buying a new bike. I need to park my sportster to do some cosmetic and electric work on it and since I commute every day on my bike, the SO has green lighted a new ride (assuming of course that she can ride it and ride on the back).

Of course I love the HD EVO V-twins, and want something a little more canyon carving compatible, so I am looking at a Buell.

Here are the models I am looking at:

Buell S3 Thunderbolt 2000.

Buell xb12r Firebolt 2005.

Buell xb12r Firebolt 2009.

The S3T is really my first choice. I love the old tuber frames and the S3T is a really incredible bike. It only has 5700 miles on it as well. The down side is, it still has the original tires on it, needs a 5000 mile service and the rocker box gaskets replaced. I rode up to SF and checked it out Wednesday and put an offer on it. We'll see if he accepts it or not.

The firebolts are really a nice bike too. Much lighter than the S3T and one of the best bikes for the twisties on the market (well they used to be until HD shut Buell down). They have some pretty cool technology as well. What looks like a fuel tank is actually the cover for the air cleaner. The frame is the fuel tank and the rear swing-arm is the oil reservoir. It has a really low center of gravity and amazing brakes. The down side to the firebolts are the rear cylinder heat issues. Those V-twins were never meant to be enclosed in a full frame (originally designed and built for sportsters), so the newer models have a noisy fan that cools the rear jug.

I should know next week if I got the S3T. If not, I am on the hunt again.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Default Re: Looking at a new ride...

I used to have a Honda Shadow ACE. Next bike I get will probably be a Shadow Phantom. The Shadow cruisers are just all around nice bikes, especially in the twisties.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

I like the looks of the Shadows too. Never ridden one, but a friend has one of the Ace's and he can't say enough about it. Very reliable bike too. He never has any issues.

After hot rodding the engine in my Sportster, the vibration has caused some electrical issues I need to fix, hence the new ride. Plus I have to run 100 octane and it is not cheap. The 50 mpg I get on that bike doesn't mean much when gas costs $8/gal. I may install some domed pistons to bring the CR down a bit so I can run premium. I will lose some torque but no big deal. I have plenty to spare.

I need something with a little more ground clearance than a cruiser. Even after installing taller shocks, I still scrape the turtles off the road with my kick stand (which is now ground down to a very sharp point).

The Firebolts looks sweet... but I think it would be less then comfortable for a passenger on the back. I fear you may loose it to the SO!

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    The Firebolts looks sweet... but I think it would be less then comfortable for a passenger on the back. I fear you may loose it to the SO!
    The firebolts are nice. It is amazing that the engine in those bikes have less HP and TQ than my sporty (almost the same engine), but handle so incredible it feels like a different engine. My only issue with the firebolts is that I would feel a little cramped after a long ride. The SO is a little scared of them though. The throttle response is much tighter than my sporty (and the one she had). The front wheel will pull up with almost no effort even in third gear.

THe early Firebolt models had a small passenger seat, but the newer ones are a little better. The X1 models have a knife edge seat and are only good for short jaunts.

The Buell that scares me a bit is the 1125R. The 1125's were the first Harley's ever produced with a non HD motor. Eric Buell used a Rotax motor and that thing puts out 160hp.

EB Racing came out with a new model after the split from HD called the 1190RS. Only 100 produced of the first model, most of them are being sold to racers. I am man enough to admit that that bike is too much for me and I would just get in trouble.

After looking at all the bikes, the Firebolt looks the coolest in my opinion.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Bought the 2000 S3T last night. Got him to come down a little bit due to a few minor issues and some missing cosmetics. I am dropping it off today for it's 5k service. Only 5700 miles on this bike. Still has the original tires (which will be replaced before I ride it).

Sill can't believe I own this bike yet. I am sure it won't sink in until I put a couple hundred miles on it.

The person that sold it to me is a really nice guy and he is selling all but one of his bikes (he only has 12 left!) due to an illness.

...more later...

Very cool!! I know exactly how you feel, when I bought the Camaro it was almost a month before it really sunk in that it was "my" car. LOL

Looking forward to a few pics of it, and ENJOY!

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Very cool!! I know exactly how you feel, when I bought the Camaro it was almost a month before it really sunk in that it was "my" car. LOL

Looking forward to a few pics of it, and ENJOY!
    I got home late last night from SF and this morning I still could not believe I had the bike, even though it was still on the trailer. This bike has never been in the rain, nor kept outside overnight. I broke both of those in less than 10 hours. Had a nasty downpour this morning as I was driving in. It stopped early though, so I was able to drop the bike off for service. My mechanic was almost as excited as I am because he knows once he is done with the service, he gets to ride it.

The bike I bought is the first picture in my initial post. Once the bike is ride able, I will post more shots.

Looking forward and CONGRATS!!! That is one sweet ride.