Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking at a new ride...

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: Looking at a new ride...

Wonder how fast you can go if you do this?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Had my first major issue with my new ride. The stock Showa shock blew a seal and barfed it's guts all over the road. I felt it go and the bike started riding like one of those spring horses found in a playground.

To be honest I knew it was going to fail from the time I first saw the bike. It is one of those things that happens to every bike that had those shocks about 5-6k miles. I had planned for it, so the shock of buying a new shock wasn't that bad. OK, the price of a good shock did surprise me (I was not going to buy a similar one knowing it would fail in 5k miles again), but I found a brand new, in the box Works shock for 50% of retail. 4 bolts to remove the old one and 2 bolts plus some cable ties and clamps to install the new one. The SO pushed the bike up on it's kickstand to ease the tension while I slipped the old one out and new one in. Took me all of 2 hours to swap and adjust.

Here are a few shots:
    The Shock:

...and the reservoir:

Took the long way home last night and the difference is amazing! Not sure I would pay full price, but it would be worth it for the change in the ride.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Man.. that thing looks so sweet.. and I can't even see the whole bike!!

I can't believe this bike is in such good condition for a 2000 model...

I was going to touch up the chips on the wheels, but everyone I have spoken with about it says the touch up will look worse than the chips. There is a lady down the street from where I work that does custom paint and she says she can get close enough so you would have to really look to see the difference. The paint is called "Nuclear Blue" and it is a 3 step process. A special glitter silver base coat with a purple tinted clear coat and another blue clear coat. Depending on the way the light hits it, it is either purple or the blue you see in the pictures...

****, I can barely get primer to look good...
    Last edited by Airbozo; 10-05-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...