Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tardis

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Re: Tardis

I love that show. This will rock if you keep at it like this!
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

What brand of motherboard is that. Also how much is it. I'am planning a similar project but not a tardis though. BTW I love your woodworking skills.
    Need a sig

ATX Mental Case

Thank you all.

Simon: It's this one: http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=2#p1620 : VIA EPIA Nehemiah M10000 LVDS 1Ghz All In One Motherboard. They occasionally show up on eBay, but only for slightly less than the £100 I paid for a new one. I haven't used it properly yet so can't recommend it.

Talking of motherboards, metal mobo trays have risers which I guess are to stop them shorting out the connections on the back. As my case is wooden can I get away without these risers, or is it also for heat dissipation? I need a sensible way of mounting the motherboard vertically, so any suggestions are welcome.
    m4gnum.com/tardis/ - Doctor Who inspired case

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

i think you should stick to risers, you have wood, wood can suck water once that hapens bye bye mobo, on top of this you could induce some stresses in the PCB because not all the solder points are the same hight, and the third problem (but this is no youre case) no space under the mobo could cause it to overheat

LOUD AND PROUD !

just a question, and possibly an irrelevant one, but worth asking before drilling holes or screwing your mobo to a piece of wood, will wood expand enough in wet and dry conditions to cause a Mobo discomfort? because I have noticed some woods can gain or lose a few millimeters depending on humidity etc. Yes I know nothing of Mobo materials and wood

also awesome mod.

ATX Mental Case

All wood expands and contracts, some woods more then others. That's why it's important to both choose the right type of wood for the application and 2nd make sure that it is sealed, inside and out, top to bottom, back and forth and left and right. Also using correct mounting hardware and will ensure your mobo doesn't lose it's footing and fall.

ATX Mental Case

It's a good question jestyyr, and I have thought about it. As MDF is basically glued together wood dust I'd imagine it is more inclined to shrink/expand than "proper" wood. I had thought of suspending the motherboard rather than screwing it down, but I'm hoping as it's not a massive motherboard any change in size of the wood will not effect it. *crosses fingers*

could always go totally insane and have it hanging on those eye screw/bolt things, on non conductive cord, that would also either dampen or amplify vibrations
    this place fills me with so many wierd ideas, hmm eye bolt things...

Quote Originally Posted by m4gnum
    It's a good question jestyyr, and I have thought about it. As MDF is basically glued together wood dust I'd imagine it is more inclined to shrink/expand than "proper" wood. I had thought of suspending the motherboard rather than screwing it down, but I'm hoping as it's not a massive motherboard any change in size of the wood will not effect it. *crosses fingers*
    I used a mAtx board, mounted it on a mdf (18mm) plate using regular mainboard mounting screws glued onto the wood, and after a few months of operations i'm happy to say there hasn't been any problems with the shrinkage and/or expanding of the wood. I wouldn't worry about it if i were you

quick edit: I would try to keep some 'wiggling' space between the case's walls and the board you'll be mounting the mainboard on to prevent the expanding wood from taering your case apart.
    TARDiS Case Mod - Worklog: dutch (more pictures) or english

ATX Mental Case

Thanks pietjepuk.