Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Tardis

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Tardis

After a tear jerking finale to the current Doctor Who series, it's only right I give you a little update to progress. I knew the window frames were going to be fiddly but I hadn't really expected the top sign boxes to take over a week to finish.

These are the little boxes that are just above the door, which hold the illuminated signs. I made 6 small L shaped end pieces (there are 6, but only 5 in the photo) and then created long strips with a small notch cut in each end. This would allow the end pieces to sit flush into them.

Click the images to enlarge

Once the glue had dried I insterted a square piece into each end as it was incredibly weak. These pieces prevent the box from twisting itself out of shape. I also inserted some small pieces of square dowel into the gaps to complete the box. These sit flush with the vertical posts. As the signs are illuminated, I had to make some holes just above the doors of the TARDIS for the light to shine through.

There will need to be a bit more filler when the sign boxes are glued into place. I can't glue them yet as the signs themselves have to be "framed" in place, so need to be inserted from behind. I've still had no major luck with making the signs so experiments with paint, glue, tippex, stencils, and stickers continue.

Work for next time includes:

The front "phone" door
    Get the motherboard mount in place
    Fix a gap between the roof and the main box.
    And hopefully I'll have some luck with my illuminated signs.
    m4gnum.com/tardis/ - Doctor Who inspired case

ATX Mental Case

Quick question, do hard drives have to be set horizontally, I want mine vertically up the side to take up less space but can they operate like that?

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

well defyant sead they work just fine, and you just have to agree with the man

LOUD AND PROUD !

In the olden days, you could ONLY have a drive mounted horizontally (even upside down if need be), but with all the modern drives, you can pretty much mount them anyway you want so long as they are stable.

Quote Originally Posted by m4gnum
    After a tear jerking finale to the current Doctor Who series,
    Ok I have to ask since your in England.. What season are you all on?? Here in the states we finished up Season 1 with Christopher Eccleston a month or so ago. Great final episode but I REALLY HATED to see CE leave!! Are we just 1 season behind you or more?

And of course your case mod kicks major Dalek!!

ATX Mental Case

We just finished season 1 of the David Tennant era. (technically as Doctor Who has been going since the 60s it's not season 1, but I've no idea what season it is in total, so if I qualify it with "the David Tennant era" the Dr Who geeks won't get me).

Thanks for the comments on the hard-drives, I'll be creating the mounting tonight. The mobo went in pretty sweetly. Photos at the weekend. It's all getting quite exciting now, well for me at least...

Yah, I guess 1st or 2nd season would be totally wrong.. heh.. I think the correct way of referring to it, would be that Chris Eccleson would be the 9th incarnation and David Tennant would be the Tenth incarnation of Dr. Who... Well looking forward to seeing the finished product!! Keep up the great work.

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

how think's this should be a feature raise his hand
    maybe ranken will see this

LOUD AND PROUD !

ATX Mental Case

I didn't pay Gearhead to say that. Honest.

Quote Originally Posted by GT40_GearHead
    how think's this should be a feature raise his hand
    maybe ranken will see this
    I second the motion...