Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 60GB SSDs?

Default Re: 60GB SSD's?

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    I have 0 SSDs, and wouldn't mind one. It would either resurrect a laptop, or go into ModCron as a boot drive.
    Are you asking for free stuff again? Cool. Really. Maybe you should get a job.

Default Re: 60GB SSDs?

Everything I have touched this last year has gotten the SSD treatment a 240GB Pyro se for my laptop a 120GB Pyro for my friends netbook, 120gb Pyro for my arcade machine and my HTPC recently got a 120GB vertex 4 so glad I spent the extra $10 because I am going from pressing power to having the system up running with a movie in the movie browser extension for Windows Media Center in under 20seconds.

Unfortunately the family PC is lacking an ssd but rather has my steam HDD as an is drive and I'll be needing it back when I move back to a desktop PC.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    Are you asking for free stuff again? Cool. Really. Maybe you should get a job.
    Honestly, I'm looking for, and going to get one. But that's another discussion.
    (Did have a summer job, but that's over.)

TBH, I didn't mean to sound like "gimme, gimme". Just saying "might as well have my name in the pot."
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I have one Agility 3 60GB in an old laptop that performs well. Microcenter has 60GB Vertex R2's on sale for 40$, 30$ after rebate, but I haven't made the trip out to Cambridge yet. I could use one for my server, but for now I'll probably just use a spare laptop hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    Yep, why wouldn't it? Your location? Have you seen everything I have given away at Bit-Tech?
    Because I come from the land down under and shipping is pricey. I'm in Victoria, Australia.
    I'm not on the bit-tech forums to be honest so I can't say I have ^-^;
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

I have a MAME cabinet in need of a 60 gig SSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

I have Corsair Force3 90GB SSD in my main rig, though I'm looking to upgrade to a 240/256GB in the near future (probably around Black Friday).

I'll soon be replacing the clickety-clacking hard drive in my mom's netbook, so I'll throw my name into the pot for one of the 60GB SSD's. It'd be a shock to an old Atom N450 system!
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.

Yeah, nobody get me wrong, I'm still in for an SSD. I just don't need to enter Satan Claus. My birthday is coming up so I think I'll end up getting some money from my parents for the PSU I've been wanting.

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

i am not going to join the entry, as i have a 90gb in my laptop, and a 60g in my desktop... i am saving to buy a 120g or more sata3 ssd for the replacement of my desktop 60g...

i just wanted to say how awesome TGS is... as always. TGS, you rock!

=D
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Quote Originally Posted by Cale_Hagan View Post
    i am not going to join the entry
    TGS, you rock!

=D
    Seconded on both accounts.

Also, as TGS said, nothing special needs to be done to install or use an SSD. You can tweak it if you are benchmarking but nothing is necessary. They are lightning fast out of the box.

There were some questions somewhere above this post, but my scrolling finger is a bit lazy today:
    Their lifespans depend on both the number of bits and how many times each bit can be written to before failure. Unfortunately, many programs write to disk frequently and there's nothing that can be done about that except possibly redirecting those writes to a HDD instead. Newer controllers support 'wear leveling' to minimize this damage. Also, don't ever defrag an SSD...this provides no benefit while shortening the life of the drive by repeatedly writing over much of the disk (depending on used space).
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.