Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help with 15mw astronomy laser

Default Re: Need Help with 15mw astronomy laser

This DSLR mod you speak of ... is it just removing/replacing the internal IR-filter, or is it something more involved?

I've removed plenty of those IR-blocking plastics, it's a good way to turn half-obsolete digital cameras into surprisingly effective nightvision gear. It's also a trivial piece of camera surgery for a modder, hope you didn't pay a lot to have it done.

Infrared lasers might not be attenuated as much by atmosphere, plus a modified camera is very sensitive of IR light. I agree it's not an optimal solution, but it is a helluva lot less costly and apparently works pretty well. A few years ago it was cheaper to mod a green laser (lol, again, by removing an IR-filtering part) than it was to buy an official IR laser, but that may have changed.

I imagine CCD is preferred over CMOS because it has greater Lux sensitivity?

Damn that hobby's expensive! Probably cheaper to launch a satellite.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

IT involves removing the ir cut filter and installing a special one, but making sure everything is aligned properly so the DSLR still functions correctly. I will be modding my old 30D soon myself but the 40D we use at the observatory was modified by Hap Griffin as that is what its owner wanted.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Hey dude thanks for the input (nice freggin newt)

I definantly dont want to crack my DSLR open though, cause i use it for standard photography as well.

I've been chatting with the guy at Steve's Telescopes and bowling (our only astronomy store in the state) and he suggested the same thing as you, focusing on a near by star and then going back to whatever i want to take a picture of

He's also willing to sell me a motorized mount for my huge dob for around 585$ (omg its beautiful)

I usually try and get out to the Cheddar ranch observatory here in oklahoma =)

Takes like five people, But the whole roof slides off on rollers =)

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Oh and i was typo'ing this whole time.

I mean 15 WATT laser not 15mw.

he said its probably illegal to use such a powerful laser in the sky lol!