Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Do I Need to Upgrade my Memory?

  1. #1
    The User DemonDragonJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    outside the net, inputting games for pleasure
    Posts
    259

    Default Do I Need to Upgrade my Memory?


    My computer currently has 4 gigabytes of memory, but I wish to upgrade that to 8 gigabytes of memory. When I asked for advice for memory modules on another forum, the other users there said that if my computer was not using 100 percent, or close to 100 percent, of its current memory, there would be no reason to upgrade to a higher capacity.

    After havign received that advice, I checked my computer's memory usage with Windows' Resource Monitor, and saw that my computer uses only 32 percent of its memory, which is below even 50 percent, let alone 100 percent. Therefore, would upgrading to 8 gigabytes of memory be a pointless action? What advice can anyone else here offer?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

    "Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

  2. #2
    Moderator TLHarrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Posts
    1,143

    Default Re: Do I Need to Upgrade my Memory?

    What makes you think you need 8GB of RAM? Is the system running slow? What software are you using? What OS?
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

  3. #3
    The User DemonDragonJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    outside the net, inputting games for pleasure
    Posts
    259

    Default Re: Do I Need to Upgrade my Memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    What makes you think you need 8GB of RAM? Is the system running slow? What software are you using? What OS?
    My current computer is running Windows 7, 64-bit, and I have encountered no major problems with it at all since I assembled it. The slowest component of my system is its mechanical hard drive, but I shall eventually upgrade to a solid-state drive when I can afford to do so, and every other component of the system functions perfectly well for my uses, so it is highly possible, and even likely, that I do not need to upgrade the memory of my computer. I simply noticed that Newegg.com was offering a promo code for discounts on desktop computer memory, notably on this product, here, and I was wondering if I should take advantage of that discount while it still is being offered.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

    "Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

  4. #4
    Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kinshasa, DRC
    Posts
    2,843

    Default Re: Do I Need to Upgrade my Memory?

    Specs of your system?

    You should fill out the "my System" section in your profile.

  5. #5
    The User DemonDragonJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    outside the net, inputting games for pleasure
    Posts
    259

    Default Re: Do I Need to Upgrade my Memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    Specs of your system?

    You should fill out the "my System" section in your profile.
    I have entered that information into my profile, but I forgot to select the option to display it publicly, so I now have changed that setting, and you should be able to view it.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

    "Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

  6. #6
    Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kinshasa, DRC
    Posts
    2,843

    Default Re: Do I Need to Upgrade my Memory?

    Your proc is probably your bottleneck.

  7. #7
    The User DemonDragonJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    outside the net, inputting games for pleasure
    Posts
    259

    Default Re: Do I Need to Upgrade my Memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    Your proc is probably your bottleneck.
    Why do you say that? How could my processor be a greater bottleneck than my mechanical hard drive?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

    "Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

  8. #8
    Mentally Underclocked mDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: Do I Need to Upgrade my Memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonDragonJ View Post
    Why do you say that? How could my processor be a greater bottleneck than my mechanical hard drive?
    All storage bottlenecks modern PC processors...even SSDs and RAM drives. Just get the fastest/largest storage medium you feel comfortable shelling out for.

    What do you typically do on this computer? 4GB is plenty for almost anything. I have 8GB in mine because I converted half of it to a RAM drive. While the RAM drive is operating, I only have 4GB available to the system. Again, it's plenty.

    The only reason I would ever need more than 8GB of RAM in my PC is for a larger RAM drive (which I'm considering ) or simply because 10 years has elapsed from the date of this post.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

  9. #9
    The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Idaho, USA
    Posts
    3,052

    Default Re: Do I Need to Upgrade my Memory?

    ^Or rendering.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

    Tri.fecta

  10. #10
    The User DemonDragonJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    outside the net, inputting games for pleasure
    Posts
    259

    Default Re: Do I Need to Upgrade my Memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    What do you typically do on this computer? 4GB is plenty for almost anything. I have 8GB in mine because I converted half of it to a RAM drive. While the RAM drive is operating, I only have 4GB available to the system. Again, it's plenty.
    I use my computer for a number of tasks: word processing, internet browsing, music and movies (to the point that I use it for those tasks more than I use a television set or radio receiver for them), and occasional gaming, although I do not have any new games; the most recent games that I have played are Diablo II and Warcraft III, which are now both more than a decade old. All my other games are emulated, mostly for DOS, NES, and Game Boy, and therefore do not require extremely powerful hardware.

    I am not certain about converting my memory into a RAM drive, mostly because I am unfamiliar with the procedure for doing so, and I also do not need such a drive at this moment. I suppose that the best option for me currently is to simply keep my computer as it is now, and upgrade when I am able to afford doing so. I shall definitely upgrade to faster memory (1,866 megahertz at minimum), and likely upgrade from 4 to 8 gigabytes as an incidental upgrade, in the case that I wish to convert some of that memory into a RAM drive.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

    "Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •