Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 - WTF?

Default Re: Windows 8 - WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    Heck, most touch based programs are just another iteration of mouse interface anyway. "Touch here" is the same as "click here." I've only played one game that truly made sense as a touch game. Most of the others would have been better with a keyboard and mouse. But what I really don't love is the marketplace strategy they are taking, and yet I think it's an issue most people are ignoring.
    I agree totally with this as I just can't imagine using a touch screen to play most games on, some simple games yes but complicated games that require moving and shooting/selecting weapons/reloading all done in very quick succession, I can't see it and personally can't see a time when I will need it unless future games are only playable by using this interface

Also what about the health issues when using a touch screen, in a work environment such as at a check out sitting close to a small screen with big icons which does not require any degree of accuracy might not be too stressful on the body but consider using a big monitor and your body posture.

Your monitor should be about arm's length away when you're sitting back in your chair. (Sitting too close or too far from your screen can cause eyestrain). If you have a large monitor - 20" or larger - you should sit slightly further back, so how can you comfortably touch the screen
    If you are constantly leaning forward to touch the screen you are straining the lower back muscles and other parts of the body unnecessarily.

Touch screens have their place on smaller mobile screens, tablets. phones, etc but for big monitors used for prolonged lengths of time it seems pointless, no pun intended

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

I think this pic says everything we need to know:

Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Beta-brain View Post
    I agree totally with this as I just can't imagine using a touch screen to play most games on, some simple games yes but complicated games that require moving and shooting/selecting weapons/reloading all done in very quick succession, I can't see it and personally can't see a time when I will need it unless future games are only playable by using this interface
    Yeah, there is only one game, application, or anything that has even remotely thought about the touch screen as its own thing and not a copy cat of the mouse.

It's called CrossFingers. You use your fingers (and you have to use two or more at many times) to move blocks around a board and get them into a specific place. It's a puzzle game, but there is also some skill involved where you often have to get "spring-loaded" or "weighted" blocks into a certain position all at once, but will move back to where they were before once you let go.

Other than that, most all games and applications would be better with a mouse and keyboard. I'll be playing a shooting game thinking, "the only thing that is difficult about this game is the user interface." The same thing goes for typing. The iphone touchscreen keyboard is a nightmare. There are so many times that I'll reach for the space bar with my right thumb, but somehow hit the return key. Three attempts at correction and I still do it.

Same for clicking (oops I mean touching) links. All touch functions would be better with a mouse.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I played with a Windows 8 PC for about ten mintes and cannot find where they put the Windows score! I've been using PC's for years. I loved XP and Vista. Windows 7 has easily been the best yet and it really aggrevates me that they changed it to this "tile" garbage. Sure, it will look just right on a cell phone or tablet, but not on a desktop
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

^Yes! "learning curve" blah blah. It took a bit of learning to go from 98 to XP, and XP to Vista/7, but that was where they changed the settings locations. Fundamentally, it was the same ecosystem. Heck,xI went from Windows 98 to Gnome Ubuntu 9.04. Barely any learning curve; heck, I was customizing right away.
    Then, after the Unity incident, I quickly found KDE, and even more quickly fell in love with it.

Gnome to Unity? Unity looks like a hybrid tablet-desktop interface, little customization.

7 to 8? "Modern-Metro-whatever-they're-calling-it" looks like a hybrid tablet-desktop interface that is failing harder than Unity is!

Seriosly, if I ever have to get Win8, http://windows.kde.org. Seriously, all it needs is a working non-alt-tab task switcher, and it's pretty much launch time. I don't know if its,widgets are working, but feel free to drop it into a VM.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I like it personally, but I have only installed it on my netbook. It runs quicker than 7 does, and is very conducive to a netbook. Not sure how well it translates to a desktop but I like it enough I have thought about actually buying this operating system. It would make my first os purchase ever. Different people with different tastes are bound to like different things. As far as windows score, why not just get a benchmarking software to get a true score and know where your faults lie instead of relying on windows score. I have had it come back and be different and not changed a single thing before.
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I was thinking of getting Microsoft's Surface, but then I saw the price! Higher than the iPad!!
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    I was thinking of getting Microsoft's Surface, but then I saw the price! Higher than the iPad!!
    No? Surface is cheaper by $100 for the same amount of space.

16GB iPad = $499
    32GB iPad = $599

32GB Surface = $499

Probably looking at the iPad Mini?

The Surface has a slightly bigger screen, too. Though I'm not sure about the quality (PPI).

Screen resolution of surface is pretty low at 1366x768. I still really like the Metro interface though.