Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 - WTF?

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Windows 8 - WTF?

What the hell was Microsoft thinking? Windows 8 is the most rediculous OS I've ever seen. Just complete and total crap!
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: Windows 8 - WTF?

Windows ME all over again?

An alright OS when considering touch-screen devices. Windows 7 for everything else.

LOL.. that's what everyone said about XP when it came out as well.. I remember long rants about how XP was crap over Win2000 and Win98.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

I don't care if it is the fastest OS in the world. If people see a crappy interface, they'll think the whole thing is utter garbage.
    As for the shift from 98 to XP? I was in school when it happened. I barely even noticed.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    LOL.. that's what everyone said about XP when it came out as well.. I remember long rants about how XP was crap over Win2000 and Win98.
    I'm with this. It's very different from the past versions, so people aren't going to know what to do. I remember being frustrated trying to find out how to do some of the power user type stuff on XP when I switched from 98. The other thing was XP was a resource hog.

Windows 8 may be very different, but I think overall the experience is not so bad at all once you let yourself get used to it. Now, I'll put the big disclaimer here and say that I haven't used it yet, but I've seen videos of people being confused about different aspects. However, I've also heard a lot of power users saying the tools they use most are easier than ever with Windows 8. Again, I have no first hand experience.

On the other hand, one thing I don't need to use to disagree with is Windows new marketplace strategy. Windows has always been an open platform as far as developing for it. Now MS wants to close the doors on developers. Part of this I know is just a strategy for MS so they can catch up with iOS and Android in terms of phone and tablet capable apps. The other, more irritating part of it, however, is the fact that they see Apple getting 30% of sales of these apps and want their piece of the pie.

Valve is obviously mad about this since they are the largest digital distributor of software in the PC market, but many developers also hate the vetting process to see if their apps "make the cut." This also cuts websites like Download.com out of the loop, who have typically made their money through adds on pages where reviewed software was discussed.

So I have mixed feelings about Win8. I'm not against the metro interface and believe that a unified user experience across multiple devices is a good idea. Heck, most touch based programs are just another iteration of mouse interface anyway. "Touch here" is the same as "click here." I've only played one game that truly made sense as a touch game. Most of the others would have been better with a keyboard and mouse. But what I really don't love is the marketplace strategy they are taking, and yet I think it's an issue most people are ignoring.

Real men use D.O.S.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

^Yeah! command line all the way!
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I ... fight ... for ... the USERS! f8l_0e's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    ^Yeah! command line all the way!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell

Powershell. When you are absolutely forced to use Windows, accept no substitutes.

I ... fight ... for ... the USERS! f8l_0e's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Real men use D.O.S.
    Yeah, cause I love having to work with a segmented memory model.