Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 - WTF?

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Default Re: Windows 8 - WTF?

Mouse and keyboard isn't bad, I could even say it's almost good. It looks like it would be really good on a tablet but I haven't had a chance to try that out as I don't own any tablet hardware. I would say the place were windows 8 fails the most is on older laptops. It's painful to use with a track pad because it sucks having to mouse around so much.

The only other major complain i have is that the two different interfaces have a very different look and feel. It's jarring when it flips back and fourth.

When it comes down to it though, I can still do everything i did in windows 7. I just have a full screen start menu. If i use windows key and then just start typing what i want to run it's just as efficient. Metro Apps aren't that great on a traditional computer but i wouldn't be upset having them on something like the Surface or a convertible tablet.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

One thing I'd like to mention. KDE, I've found is a great desktop interface, albeit the default color scheme is a bit bleak. However, I've also found that, with a little tweaking, it's a great tablet interface. One reason I'm picking it over Unity on my Thrive.

Don't get me wrong, I'd happily use Windows 7. Given the choice, however, I'd much prefer Linux. I just think that Win8 is going to flop because their older-and-trusted apps won't be ported to Metro interface, and people will complain when they see the desktop on Surface, then complain when their apps don't run (or run well, if MS releases a compatibility layer).
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I think you are confusing Windows RT and Windows 8. Windows 8 will run anything that Windows 7 will run. Its only the ARM based RT version that need to be specifically written for RT. Windows 8 might not have a Start button but it still has a Start screen which includes an application list that you launch your desktop applications from.

I don't really get all the complaints about RT not running all Windows x86 apps. The Ipad won't run Mac OSX programs, and Android won't run regular linux apps, why do people expect that RT should run regular Windows programs?

Because Windows still functions on a lowest common denominator factor.

Still on Win7, if it could do hybrid graphics right I'd be on Linux only in a heartbeat.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    Technically I think it would be the MOST common denominator.

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    I don't really get all the complaints about RT not running all Windows x86 apps. The Ipad won't run Mac OSX programs, and Android won't run regular linux apps, why do people expect that RT should run regular Windows programs?
    "Because it's WINDOWS. It just WORKS!".

Yeah..... Try running a 16-bit app on your Win7-64 install, without additional software (VM or DosBox).

Although, technically, you can still run desktop Linux apps on an Android device; you just are limited to command line options (unless you can shut down Davlik and start up X)

Tri.fecta

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    "Because it's WINDOWS. It just WORKS!".

Yeah..... Try running a 16-bit app on your Win7-64 install, without additional software (VM or DosBox).

Although, technically, you can still run desktop Linux apps on an Android device; you just are limited to command line options (unless you can shut down Davlik and start up X)
    They make 16-bit apps?

I ... fight ... for ... the USERS! f8l_0e's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post

Still on Win7, if it could do hybrid graphics right I'd be on Linux only in a heartbeat.
    Are we talking nVIDIA optimus or another hybrid graphics setup? For optimus, Bumblee is supposedly up to snuff now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    They make 16-bit apps?
    No, what I meant was trying to run an older 16-bit app on a 64-bit install.
    Sure, it x86, but it's a discontinued technology.

Tri.fecta

Well I knew it wouldn't take long for those that dislike the whole start screen.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/