Thread: Adding an Iridecent top coat

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Adding an Iridecent top coat

I was thinking of doing a dark cherry/Maroon paint job and maybe adding this Iridescent clear coat to it. It says it gives it shades of purple/pink. Do you think it would look bad on a dark paint or will it not be all that obvious?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Default Re: Adding an Iridecent top coat

Depends on the lighting. I did a pinewood derby car years back with dark grey paint and a blue/violet iridescent with powdered pigment dusted on and a heavy clearcoat. It was incredible in the sunlight, fairly decent under normal room lighting.

You will still see the regular color underneath. Depending on light angles, you will see purple/pink highlights floating in the clearcoat, mostly at edges and corners. If it's sitting under a desk in the dark, you wasted the effort.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

It'll be on the counter at work. Very bright there.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

For a finish like that, the paint under it needs to be as close to perfect as you can get, too. While you won't see it in the clear, when the pearl shows up it will highlight every hidden flaw in the paint job. It's kind of like spraying gloss black-it shows every flaw there.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

That's gonna be interesting, but possibly short lived. Spray paint won't stand up to all the scuffs and hand oils and other stuff in an environment like that.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Or you could deliberately enhance the surface flaws to produce striking iridescent visual effects, since the "rainbow" color-shifting properties depend a great deal on viewing angle. If a glossy smooth automotive paint job isn't going to work well then go for fish scales, orange peel, abrasive minerals, etc.

I couldn't get the MSDS data, so unable to say how this paint will withstand exposure to solvent vapours in your workshop.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.