Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enermax Ostrog - CES build

Default Enermax Ostrog - CES build

Hi guys-

I am in the midst of a nice build for Enermax again. This will be showcased in their booth at CES this coming year.

For starters, this is an amazing case that retails for around $50! It's a hell of a great deal.

They come black or white with a choice of different color trim rings in the front.

The plans for this case are -

Stripped to bare metal
    Cut window a little bit bigger and do a flush mount.
    Remove red trim ring and make a custom lighted acrylic piece to go in it's place.
    Custom crazy paint job of course! Red with white accents (more on this later).

The hardware is mostly sponsored. (more on that later)

Enermax has sponsored the build and provided the case, power supply, cpu cooler, and a box full of fans!
    Please support them as they are very good to modders/gamers - http://www.enermaxusa.com/

Ok I know everyone just wants pics so here is a start -

Here is the shipment of goods to get me rolling

The case out of the box

Another front shot. It shows the trim ring. I have something really cool planned for this.......

And after a little time in the shop I got it torn down, window cut, and ready for stripping. Then comes the fun part.... fresh paint!

Again, I would really like to thank Enermax for being so great to work with. They are a great bunch of people.

Stay tuned.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne

Default Re: Enermax Ostrog - CES build

Well I was happy to be home today so I could sign for this package -

From my AMD sponsor - 7950 X 2

Thank you to AMD for supporting me, but more importantly, supporting the modding/gaming industry.

Please remember to support them back . . http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

Sooooo pretty! Too bad I'm going to take them apart and paint them.

Speaking of paint.

I'll show you the concept for this paint job now since it will be a little while before it's done. I have a little more stripping to do and then I'll get started.

Since this is for CES it has to get a lot of attention so it has to be wild. The brighter the better and obviously some craziness will help.

I totally suck at Photoshop and Gimp, etc. so this is not exactly a beautiful representation but I think you'll easily get the idea...

So it will be super bright red, high gloss, and on the right side panel I will put a nice Ostrog logo in the middle. The inside will be the solid red with white fans and accents here and there.

Should get some attention eh?

Take a look around at Dazzle Camouflage. A dazzle pattern may do this project some justice. [Wikipedia Link] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

My first thought on seeing this was add some black stripes and you've got Frankenstrat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankenstrat
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

I originally had the idea of the white as the main color and red laser stripes but then changed to red with white stripes for this one.

If I add some black stripes it would look pretty close to Eddie's guitar for sure!

I remember the Dazzle camo from old history shows. Pretty crazy for sure. I think I'll stick with fine laser stripes though. lol

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    My first thought on seeing this was add some black stripes and you've got Frankenstrat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankenstrat
    That's exactly what I thought too, remembers me Van Halen...
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I am doing white paracord sleaving on the cables so I did the 8 pin tonight to see how well the white color hides the color of the wire underneath. As I suspected, you can see a little bit of the wire color show through but it's not real bad so I think I'll be ok. The camera picks it up a little.

I'm doing all my paracord with no shrink tube these days for a lot cleaner look. There is a trick to getting it just right and it does wear on your fingers but it's worth it.

I'm just about ready for primer on all the metal panels and now I am sanding the plastics down. This not the fun part. Soon it will take shape....

I ended up changing to red for the paracord. Finished up the whole psu. It takes a loooonnnggg time getting these perfect with no shrink tube. But it looks so nice.

I am going in so many directions right now. But I am making progress. I have the case primed and ready to continue with paint but I ended up with a little dirt in my primer coat so I think I'll be stripping it back off. I did a thorough scrubbing of the paint booth so it doesn't happen again!

I should have some paint pics up by the end of this weekend.

Nice job on the cables.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    Nice job on the cables.

Thanks. It's sooooo time consuming!

Update ---

Finally getting some serious painting done.

The stages of this-

Stripped factory black powder coat off.
    Sand to bare metal
    Epoxy Primer - White
    Base coat -White
    Tape off lines
    Base coat - Torrid Red
    Next comes clear!

Lotta work for a nice paint job.

This is the psu taped off. It's going to match the case.

Coat #1

Coat #2
    Coat #3 blah blah blah

Pull the tape!

The red really pops now with a little white added. The lines look like they jump off at weird angles but it depends on what angle you look at the psu. It changes depending on where you see it from.

The case itself is getting the same treatment but I am using a little wider tape. Here are some pics of it reassembled and painted white.

And a little paint going on.

And now for the super scary part.... I have to pull the tape so I can blend in an area in the center that will be all red. Then I am adding the Ostrog name in white, right in the middle. I am doing all this before the paint has cured so it's a risk that you can pull the paint back off. It also leaves a hard tape edge since the paint has not cured and flattened all the way down.

So I definitely have some hard tape lines (edges) so now I have to wait a bit and then very, very, very, carefully do a little wet sanding of the base coat. Normally you never do that because I will be putting clear directly over it and it may show some of the sanding scratches.
    :roll:

Hope not.

Meanwhile, in between coats I started 2 more mods that needed windows cut into the side panels so there will be another thread coming on those.

I'm tired..... good night.