Thread: New Guy and His Idea

Fresh Paint

Default New Guy and His Idea

Howdy! I've been lurking around this forum for a week or so getting some ideas for modding my case. Y'all have some good looking projects, now I'd like to share mine.

Starting off with an Antec Plusview I've had for about a year. I'd been lusting after the Ford GT since it was announced they were going to make a production model. My particular favorite is the 2006 "Tungsten" model, which matched the original paint on my case, so I decided to put a couple of stripes down the middle to match:

Unfortunately I had trouble getting the stripes straight and wound up ruining the base paint on the top of the front bezel. So I decided to do a respray with another color. I got some Navy Blue Krylon and hit the bezel and top panel of the case with several good coats. I'm leaving the side panels the original grey, I think it looks pretty nice. But the real thing I'll be proud of if I can pull it off is the top of the case. It's inspired by the striping on older muscles cars.

I modeled this using Google Sketchup. I uploaded the final model here:

Antec Plusview GT

I should have the final results in a couple of weeks, I'll post pics if it comes out well.

maximan1

Default Re: New Guy and His Idea

Nice I like it.
    As for getting strait lines, THINK MAN THINK!!!!
    Get a ruler and line it up so the edges match (so its strait) and then tape. Make 2 lines like that and spray. Good luck on your next proj.

Life is like an analogy...

my favourite car.... i was actually contemplating a mod like this. slightly more detail than a paint job though. i contemplate of a lot of things...

well, time to take the next step. if you arent happy with this since you had to redo the bezel, why not just start over again, and do a little cutting and shaping to add some air scoops.... a retrofit-mod if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by maximan1
    Nice I like it.
    As for getting strait lines, THINK MAN THINK!!!!
    Get a ruler and line it up so the edges match (so its strait) and then tape. Make 2 lines like that and spray. Good luck on your next proj.
    The problem I got into was with the transition from the top of the front panel to the door. Going from a flat horizontal surface to a curved vertical one pretty much always messed up the lines. It took two tries to get it right, but then the process of stripping off the mistake also removed the original paint, and I couldn't find a close enough match to the original base, hence the respray.

my favourite car.... i was actually contemplating a mod like this. slightly more detail than a paint job though. i contemplate of a lot of things...

well, time to take the next step. if you arent happy with this since you had to redo the bezel, why not just start over again, and do a little cutting and shaping to add some air scoops.... a retrofit-mod if you will.
    I'd like to do something more elaborate than just a paint job, but I have neither the means nor the skill to do what I'd like.

Here's some pics of what's done so far:

The blue base color

Some silver paint on the drives looks sharp!

I cut the ribs off of the side panel hole and...

Took some metal mesh I had from some old drive-in movie speakers and made a new grill for the fan. Can't really tell from this pic, but I hammered it so it's rounded out into a dome.

I've come up with some updates to the original plan. I decided to add some stripes to the side panels as well:

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

uuuuuuuu a gt40 mod hmmm well i hate the production model but love the old ones just love thoes cars
    good luck with youre stripes

LOUD AND PROUD !

I'd like to do something more elaborate than just a paint job, but I have neither the means nor the skill to do what I'd like.
    well if you need to know anything to do more on this mod, ill direct you to the tips and tricks section. we've got instructions for working with electronics, acrylic, and sheet metal there. granted, it wont give you any hands on time, but it should help you understand what the heck you're doing. theres more than just those three threads too. if you look around, you'll find things in random places like stuff to do with lead work (more of an argument, but helpful), maybe some bondo stuff, and who knows what else. and check out tribaloverkill's mods for pictorial examples of acrylic work... im sure you probably have already (at least i HOPE you have).

and if you need to know something that hasnt been covered before.... just ask. people like us are just full of both useful and useless knowledge.

im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Going from a flat horizontal surface to a curved vertical one pretty much always messed up the lines
    i had a thought on this. why not clamp a laser level onto a piece of plywood, and set it to get a vertical line, and then cast that line on the case. that would get you nice straight lines.

Fresh Paint

Ha Ha! Just got a nice little surprise in the mail from Uncle Sam. Seems my calculations on this year's tax return was off a little, by around $400 to my credit! So now I've got a little extra dough to work on the guts of my machine as well.

I'd like to do a lot more cosmetically with to my case, but right now I'm just trying to get the hang of painting before I start doing any structural changes. Baby steps you know.

Fresh Paint

baby steps are for babys course my first mod probaly gonna look ghetto hell warmed over
    Yusaku

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

as the GT40 guardian on this forum I WILL be watching this

LOUD AND PROUD !