Thread: Birthday Money

Default Birthday Money

I've gotten about $200 in birthday money and I'm not sure what I want to do.

My wife and I are compulsive savers and we really don't like to spend money. This results in me really not wanting very much stuff, and anything I do want generally gets into the $1000+ range, so I don't think about ever actually getting any of it. Still, I think I'd like to spend ~$100 and put the other half into savings. I'm not sure what to get though.

Here's a list. Give me your thoughts.

I already bought this Sandvich Toy. Yes, it is expensive, but it comes with a DLC code, and if it's for what I think it is, the DLC will sell on market for $100+ easily. It may just sell out in 24-48 hours like the last one did. I did buy this before with a different collectible vinyl toy. Mostly I just love Valve, but the ability to sell the DLC stuff removes some of the pain.

Silverstone Fortress FT02 - I have the amazing CM stacker 830, but would like to get something with fewer holes in it so it is more quiet. It's more than $200, but I would probably try and sell the stacker on craigslist for ~$200 after.

Olly Moss G-Man Print - Sad thing is they are getting really expensive on ebay now, which is totally lame. It will probably cost $60 total if I'm lucky.

Xbox 360 Controller for Windows - I've been wanting to get something for playing games in the living room for a while. Steam controller will come . . . sometime, but now word on price or release date and I wouldn't mind having something else to hold me over until then.

The only other thing I would think of at this point is a new video card for my HTPC. I just fixed it, but the issue with it was one of my 9800gt cards went bad. Even in SLI, they weren't the greatest cards before, and now with just one card my games will look pretty bad. The good thing is that the resolution will only be 1080p, and whatever I get now will be paired with a relatively old Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550. Any recommendations for a card to pair with that CPU?

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks!
    Last edited by d_stilgar; 10-19-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Default Re: Birthday Money

You might keep an eye out for this.. looks like Nvidia is doing some game bundles and discounts on the Nvidia Shield with the purchase of a video card...

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/33506/...unt/index.html

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Who knows? Someone here just might be a lucky candidate of the Steam box beta testers!
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Update! I talked to my wife about getting the new case, and she said that we would need to wait, but in about a month we should have money for me to get the case I linked to. After I get it I will post a quick build (no fancy mods, sorry) and then I will sell my current case. I think I'll ask $250 on craigslist and then let someone talk me down a little bit.

So, no Adalight for now. It was going to be my choice until my wife approved the computer case.

And I'll keep my eyes open for that Olly Moss print. If I can get it for $60 shipped or less I might bite.

So, I'm pretty excited . . . and maybe I'll get a little more money sometime and can do the Adalight thing during Christmas break.

Fresh Paint

I've gotten about $200 in birthday money and I'm not sure what I want to do.I bought a beautiful doll house for my younger sister.
    Check the TOS for rules about links in signatures.

Don't be a spammer!

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    hen.

The only other thing I would think of at this point is a new video card for my HTPC. I just fixed it, but the issue with it was one of my 9800gt cards went bad. Even in SLI, they weren't the greatest cards before, and now with just one card my games will look pretty bad. The good thing is that the resolution will only be 1080p, and whatever I get now will be paired with a relatively old Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550. Any recommendations for a card to pair with that CPU?

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202023