Thread: Seasonic 550W gold PSU, REALLY CRAP CABLES!

Default Seasonic 550W gold PSU, REALLY CRAP CABLES!

Not sure if this is the right place for this post, please move it if not.

I've just bought a Seasonic 550W gold standard PSU after reading many good reviews about it and the PSU has just arrived and while the PSU looks good I have not yet tried it as my sig build is not quite ready for it, but, the biggest disappointment is the modular cables, "THEY ARE THE NASTIEST, CHEAPEST LOOKING CRAPPIEST CABLES I HAVE EVER SEEN" OK, rant over, but they really are, they are not even braided badly there is no braiding at all and they are not even colour coded

The cables are the horrible flat type and as soon as you start bending them around you can see that the wires are going to start separating and will quickly turn into a tangles mess, this is not what I expected for an £80 gold standard PSU, even my old Zalman modular PSU has all the cables braided and they are quite well done.

When I opened the box I thought "Oh great, another really useful pouch" but actually it will be useful as I can hide the unused modular cables in it
    I will be braiding the cables but that's not the point, to me these are horrible, nasty cables of the lowest quality and the sort of thing you see hardwired on really cheap PSU's, NOT IMPRESSED, NOT AT ALL

Think I will have to leave a suitable review on Overclockers site where I bought it

Default Re: Seasonic 550W gold PSU, REALLY CRAP CABLES!

Can you split them up and braid them, or is that not going to work out?
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

I guess I've always been a fan of the flat cables. It means I can just plug in multiple hard drives easily, and I don't expect them to be braided if they are flat either.

I've been more disappointed in factory braided cables that are just cheaply wrapped.

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    Can you split them up and braid them, or is that not going to work out?
    I might do that, not sure yet

I guess I've always been a fan of the flat cables. It means I can just plug in multiple hard drives easily, and I don't expect them to be braided if they are flat either.

I've been more disappointed in factory braided cables that are just cheaply wrapped.
    I understand what you mean, I guess I just expected more from an £80 gold standard 550W PSU, there are no pictures of the separate modular cables on the Overclockers website where I bought it from I assumed buy a good PSU and it comes with braided cables and one less job for me I will have to braid them now but it was not something I was not planning to do on this build.