Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: creative troubles

Life is like an analogy...

Default creative troubles

i cant believe i of all people am at a lack of ideas here. i have to turn to you guys for ideas on this.

ok, first a little speel to get everyone up to date. remember that zanzibar mod? i had a severe falling out with a friend who was an absolute halo freak. it pretty much put me off halo completely. in fact, i havent touched a computer game for about a month now. ive managed to keep busy with school, the gym, and random discussion/arguments here on the forums. im not into that zanzibar mod anymore, i stare at the frame for literally hours, just hating it.

im switching gears for this. im going to do something very techy and purpose built. i know the types of things i want in it... air cleaner, dehumidifier (ive got some magnesium silicate desicant pellets for it), watercooling... ive pretty much got all the individual components thought out. id also like to do some acrylic work like in tribal's liquid evolution threads.... well, same effect, but not the same style. heres where i need the help though. i want to theme this case if possible, but i really dont know of a movie or game, or anything that is both techy and purpose built. i cant find anything that just stands out and says "im a kickass idea". i was thinking the tv series firefly, or the movie serenity might be a good way to go, but im just not sure right now.

does anybody have anything awesome? im completely open to suggestions right now, so just start flooding me with ideas if you have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Default Re: creative troubles

nothing yet? having as much trouble as i am?

i did think of another idea. perhaps the necro monger type technology in chronicles of riddick.

still, nothing is really jumping out at me though. im listening here...... still listening. anyone with a good idea better post before i go and tear all my hair out and start on expendable appendages.

im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

How about optical illusions? I've seen some cases with mirrors so that it looks like an empty box. You could build a case that is a total trip to look at. People will look at pic and it will look one way, you show another angle and they don't know what they are looking at.

This one is pretty cool. I'm not suggesting that you use this, but it is cool.
    Look at it close to your screen and then slowly walk away and see how the two images change.

I'll tell you what, if you have played any of the games in the Myst Series (I.e. myst, riven, etc...) you will find volumes of structures that you surely will find some inspiration from. Lots of things that are immediately purposeful, beautiful, complex, and creative. You might check those out for some ideas.
    Good luck!
    Jon

Hmmm... well, I had a similar problem. So I just wrote my own back story :p.

Lets see, techy...hmmm. Matrix comes to mind. You could even extrapolate on the machines and do something you think would be in their city.

Or...Star Wars. Like the design of the hallways, I think they had white lights that went from ground to ceiling.
    Are you a Star trek fan? They had alot of places for inspiration.

Wait I got it. How about Men in Black. Most of their stuff was very techy and could be given many lighting effects. It really up to you. Thats about all I can think of right now though.

You could even extrapolate on the machines
    thats probably what ill end up doing, although i need a place to start from first. not a huge star trek fan unfortunately... although if i see something i like, it doesnt really matter where it came from. i was also thinking about the matrix and MIB. they're all valid right now, BUT....

the Myst Series (I.e. myst, riven, etc...)
    ... ill have to take a look at this first. i remember seeing ads for uru.... i think thats one of the series, and i remember thinking it looked interesting. never even seen the game though. ill look at some screenshots if i can find them.

those optical illusions are interesting too. im thinking of perhaps using some nifty angled acrylic pieces to refract and reflect light so maybe i can give the illusion of duplicated or hidden pieces. ive got to look into it though. depends on what the refraction coefficient for acrylic is. if it carries light along the edges, im sure you can do some neat effects.

alright, ive kind of settled on the fact that i nothing is going to inspire me to theme this case. ill just go ahead with some sort of abstract tech design.

speaking of abstract tech designs, im drawing one up right now. i just downloaded sketch up too, so ill try to transfer the drawing on to the computer and post some shots. then ill open up to design suggestions if there are any.

ill need a little while to do this because ive never used sketch up before.

little update.... I LOVE SKETCH UP!!!!

this is working very very very very very well, and i can finally show my ideas without settling for crappy scans of drawings.

the case is looking like an angular giant, more akin to a delorean, but its not done yet. fingers crossed for tomorrow night or something, its taking a long time to measure everything and get it right. i just have one side, and a water cooling schematic left, but they kind of tie into each other so its like a water-wall.

ive got to take some time out now to do two projects.... bloody school!!!! census project tonight, powerpoint tomorrow. then.... if i have time, computer.

worth the wait though... i love what ive got done so far, and i think some of you will too.

Anodized

So...I just had a bad weekend (bad = hungover) and raided my DVD rack for something I hadn't seen in *ages*. What did I come across? Why am I posting here?

HACKERS! That horrible movie with Anjie Jolie and no one else of consequence. Anyway, it'd be great to (I was thinking of it for a future mod) do a homage to "Crash & Burn".

Okay...rather horrible idea now that I reread it...but...I'm clicking post anyway!

That picture is sweet.

Johnny Lee Miller is a decent actor and he's in Hackers.

Can't wait to see the sketches slug.