Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: creative troubles

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

Default Re: creative troubles

you my man are a genius
    one thing is scraping my mind: the pistons design, i'm thinking at sealing method with minimal drag, because drag its starting to be a pain with 12 cilinders, i'm thinking 2 or 3 ruber rings/piston, and using oil-water emulsion,like one part oil 2 parts water

LOUD AND PROUD !

the pic kinda looks like a ferris wheel
    Im Back Baby!
    Yeah, I just quoted Bender Bending Rodriguez, got a problem?

first the fungus now this.... LOL you got a funny way of looking at pics, do you even read the thread, or just trust you're instinct (lol)

LOUD AND PROUD !

Life is like an analogy...

i'm thinking at sealing method with minimal drag
    ive been thinking about this too. i personally think that embedding a ring of clear silicone on each piston will work good enough. itll end up a sort of rubbery sealing, and that is probably the best when dealing with liquids. oil is a maybe, but im starting to think about thermal capacities now. i dont think oil is very good at carrying heat. what would be interesting is graphite, water, and an anti-fungal solution mixed together. graphite has something like 16x the thermal conductivity that water does, and as you probably know, its a good lubricant when finely powdered.... and best of all i just need to go buy a bunch of pencil lead to do it. i could also go buy some of that really fine copper powder that you add to paint to give a metallic look... but copper is heavy and would probably start pooling somewhere and gum the whole thing up. at least graphite wont do that as easily.

another idea would be alcohol... whether it be rubbing alcohol or booze. ethanol (the booze alcohol) evapourates at something like 78 degrees C, and may have a better cooling effect. i really dont know though, im just thinking right now.

the pic kinda looks like a ferris wheel
    ya but it sure as hell wont act like one.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

well oil has a beter heat capacity then water, and it would help with the lubrication of the pistons and as i said earlier use an oil-water emulsion, the graphite is great at heat but in a short time would make youre cilinders black, it would be nice though to see how much graphite water can absorbe
    BTW how is scool any more exams

LOUD AND PROUD !

school is good for now... yesterday was my last midterm. dont need to worry for a couple weeks (lab exam) and then i have finals in early august.

so i get most of august off and im going to give it my damnedest effort to NOT get thrown back into work. electrical pre-apprenticing is total crap... the dust from the drywallers gave me nosebleeds everyday (still got them too) and the noise is too much. i think ill probably doing a lot of boating instead and working out... i do weight training too. modding too, of course... cant forget that. maybe ill actually get enough time to get some serious work done for once.

anyways... ya im looking into this oil vs water thing right now, and im looking at graphite again just to make sure ive got my numbers straight (knowing me they are probably so crooked you could kill yourself on them)...

ill let you know when and if i find anything that leads me to a decision about this.

im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

i'm doing some house work(water damage ) my self... it sucks, ouu and nomber checking is good
    btw wanted to ask you this for some time take a loke at my project tell my what you think of it

LOUD AND PROUD !

ouu and we can talk all night long, I just had that no sleep fealing LOL

LOUD AND PROUD !

i actually HAVE been following your project already. it looks like it took inspiration from a mac tool bock or something. the one thing that has me concerned is those blowers. it looks like they gather their effectiveness from laminar flows, and im just wondering if you intend to strap them on the sides without molding a smooth path for air to flow through. the best use ISNT to stick them on the side of a case and have the air passing by the walls at sharp angles (the laminar thing comes into play because air has a strange ability to cling to surfaces when moving).

i remember way back... two years ago... i designed pulse jet that was more like a hybrid scramjet, and the whole thing was based on laminar flow and pressure differentials. i had it down so accurately that i got it running from a standstill (most pulse jets need a leaf blower to get them started), it had an intake and exhaust (in normal pulse jets you have a U shaped tube that air does a back-and-forth thing inside) and it didnt even need any valves to keep air going one way. didnt even get hot either.... usually pusle jets are made of iron and they still get red hot. anyways... my point is that its a good idea to design with airflow in mind... you would not believe what a difference a simple curve will make instead of a right angle.

im sure we could talk all night. ive got tomorrow off school thanks to canada day on saturday (thats my birthday too) so ill probably be up late. the question is... will we run out of things to talk about.

wow, the verdict is already in on the liquid to use.

oils in general are horrible for conducting heat, but they are good at holding whatever heat they DO take. the best one was castor oil, but even then it was only about a quarter as good as water. alcohol isnt very good either.

so it looks like water is a good way to go. im looking at additives now (copper, aluminum, graphite, antifreeze). and ill make up my mind in a couple hours. dinner time for me.