Thread: Need help with some fnishing touches...

Default Need help with some finishing touches...

Ok, here is the situation. I have an idea of what I want to do. I want to use perforated aluminium, such as:

Basically, this aluminium will form the sides of the case, bolted to a frame. I really like the idea of having the whole case build like this for several reasons. It will allow great airflow, and lighting will be amazing. There is also going to be a perspex window on the side with no mesh present.

Now, here is my my problem, I really like how it will look at the moment, but fear it may turn out a little dull, as really, it's going to have to be rectangular in shape, due to the nature of the material. Now, does anyone have any ideas at all about how it could be made more interesting? The only idea I really have if to do some really nice graphics spray painted onto the aluminium, but leaving the majority still untouched, leaving the nice effect of the silver aluminum. Thanks,

LoTech

Default Re: Need help with some fnishing touches...

i dosen't have to be a box shape, you could curve the top, this would take time and pratice.

If you could polish it up nice, that would look SWEET

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

I think it has the potential to turn out really nice! I'm going to start construction probably in the next couple of weeks and will make sure to keep a good work log together. And I just realised I made a typo in the title... doh

It's only a box shape because you haven't thought about any other shape you can make it.

I'm partial to pyramids if you have the space for them on a desk.

You could use the shine of the aluminum in another way. Maybe get an anodizing kit and do a reverse stencil idea?

As for your window, consider a unique shape or cutting the aluminum to be differently shaped other than the regular square. One of the reasons people do windows is because 4 90 degree angles is fairly easy to cut and work with.

How are you planning on mounting your window to your mesh?

Just throwing out thoughts.

Take a look at www.mnpctech.com. They have alot of mahcined aluminium that might look good. Also deffinatly give it lights. This thing would be sweet if it has a massive glow IMO.

Default Re: Need help with some finishing touches...

I know it has major potential. The problem is I am in the UK and therefore don't have access to some materials, such as the one mentioned in the link provided. However, it just means I have to look around a bit more in DIY stores. I am yet to try, but hopfully they can provide me with what I want. I may try rethinking the shape, and the window shape, as maybe something else could be made that would look great. Anyway, keep the ideas coming! Thanks,

LoTech

EDIT: Ok, thought I throught. I really like the idea of a pyramid, but I have doubts about a few things. Firstly, the placement of the mobo outs and the PCI slots etc. Thinking about it, I think that althought it would look awesome, I think it is going to be a little too much work...

Life is like an analogy...

how about some hexagons? the perforations already make hexagonal patterns if you look at it right. a hexagon shaped pc is something new i think.

as for painting... thats going to be the interesting part. with aluminum, the paint scheme should probably focus on whites and blacks so it matches up with the silver. maybe an abstract sort of shading/highlighting would work... no particular shape... just a bunch of random shading.

a hexagon window is a MUST. that would fit so well with the perforations, and it allows for a better method of fastening too.

heres an idea for a total look... just my opinion though. leave the aluminum alone... either sand it with 1000 grit or polish it. then put in a hexagon window made of light blue tinted acrylic. then fill the thing with lots of super bright white led's so you get light spilling out everywhere, and a nice bright blue patch on the side. as that cool or am i losing my design touch?

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

If all the aluminum is polished, you don't need that much light. It's going to be pouring out with 2 or 3 ccfl's. The window is a good idea, but I would have it as a backdrop. I've found that layering light through holes and then a filter makes for a mean look that's easy on the eyes.

As for the link, that guy is on this forum and he might arrange a shipment to the UK. I think his name is tybrenis.

Righty, will look into that. I like the idea of the hexagonal one I still have to look at my local large DIY stores, been a little lazy so far, but I can't find any places online for the UK who stock it other than in bulk or tiny pieces. Anyway, thanks again,

LoTech

Fresh Paint

Theres loads of mesh on ebay. Search for "grill mesh".

Oh and check this radioactive design stuff I found there
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=3411