Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for input on new phone.

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Default Looking for input on new phone.

Hey all!

I'm due for an upgrade on my phone in the next few days here and was wondering if anyone had any input. I'm probably looking to get a top tier android device, but I'm not really sure what to go with. I'm on Verizon, so unfortunately the nexus 4 is off the table.

These are the things i care about most:
    • I want one of the currently more powerful devices.
    • Preferably 4G or LTE.
    • As Little bloatware as possible. I would prefer stock android but i know that's not likely to happen.
    • I would like to go with a manufacturer that has a higher reputation for updating devices. I know Verizon has a problem with pushing out updates in a timely manner but i would like to do my best to make sure that i at least get updates eventually.
    • I would like a phone that is Mod or Hack "Friendly." I know none of the manufacturers encourage this activity but i would like to know that it's possible / easy, mainly because i know i probably wont be getting first party updates. This can make up for a manufacturer that doesn't push out updates.
    • A nice camera would be a plus, but i don't really take many pictures. Front facing would be nice for video chat.

I figured the guys around here probably use mostly android devices and might have some good input. I really don't want to go iPhone but the way android updates work out on Verizon, it could push me to an iPhone.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Default Re: Looking for input on new phone.

My experience is that "mod or hack friendly" generally means "a little bit older". The device has to have been around long enough for the pioneering hackers to break them, and unless you're one of those microcode guys with JTAG gear, a few tricks, and a lot of patience, you've basically gotta wait until someone else does the job. So it's basically "newest" vs "hacked" ... and the most popular devices will be the most hacked while the less popular ones may not be hacked until they're obsolete. So buy a popular device to get best odds if some kind of hacking/modding is a realistic objective.

No major manufacturer provides datasheets of this sort (although it can all be learned from physical part markings, FCCID searches, etc) - even those devices which do not take steps to physically obscure/disguise/remove or tamper-proof the parts will still use at least one proprietary codelocked ASIC-type IC which needs to somehow be "broken" or emulated, but fortunately most device makers are lazy and just repeat (well documented) old patterns on each subsequent device generation.

Your provider (Verizon) may limit your options; if they reject any devices on their network then your choices are automatically simplified (unless you consider other providers). They may also pre-install their own junkware into each device or impose various performance limits in their configuration (limitations imposed by network structure, billing tiers, or technical laziness). What I'm saying is that a responsive lightweight device might still be bloated slow cow when obtained through a particular provider.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    Your provider (Verizon) may limit your options; if they reject any devices on their network then your choices are automatically simplified (unless you consider other providers). They may also pre-install their own junkware into each device or impose various performance limits in their configuration (limitations imposed by network structure, billing tiers, or technical laziness). What I'm saying is that a responsive lightweight device might still be bloated slow cow when obtained through a particular provider.
    Yeah, from my experience, Verizon tends to load a lot of bloatware on to the phones they offer. I don't understand what drives them to do this. I could see if they are offering quality apps that add value to the device, but they just... aren't. I just don't understand. I'm also not a fan of most of the customer launchers manufacturers use, but that's a simple fix.

I wish it wasn't so pricey to just buy phones off contract. I wouldn't even know how to go about buying a phone directly from a manufacturer.

This is the one thing i genuinely applaud apple on. They won't put up with any of the carrier nonsense and offer their device as they designed them, directly to the consumer.

They get paid for each copy of the junkware which reaches the end-user. Multiple junkwares in some kind of bloaty "value added bundle" means the retailer can actually add significant "free" profit to each device they sell. Ideally, they can advertise big popular recognizable brand names (Nero, Norton, etc) which fool people into thinking they're receiving valuable "free" software with their tech.

This can be a bit of a problem on mobile devices, since they often won't allow users to uninstall preconfigured, unwanted, and sometimes crippling bloat.

Incidentally, I agree with you that Apple's stubborn position on this is commendable. But in the end, although companies like Apple are popularly seen as "good guys", they're just as corporate-evil-proprietary as the companies which people more readily condemn. I live in Canada, where Apple iToys are available on only one carrier (Rogers) with only one kind of (costly and constraining) contract, entirely imposed by Apple. Having said that ... Apple devices are actually quite good and worth considering ... unless you plan to jailbreak/etc to circumvent their proprietary system. Android devices are more of a mixed bag.

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

I just got the Galaxy Note 2, and love it. It's super fast and has a fantastic screen. It was easy to root, and after you root you can easily remove the bloatware with titanium backup. The hacking group for sammy phones is pretty good, but as mentioned earlier it's new so you're gonna have to wait a little bit for more ROM choices. There are some out there now, but I haven't tried any.

If the Note is too big the Galaxy S 3 is a badass phone too.

I'm on AT&T, and from what I understand Verizon locks their bootloaders.

Custom Title Honors

i'm on verizon and have a droid bionic.

it was easy to root until i got the latest motorola update. however, the motorola droid razr is a good phone and easily rooted as well.

motorola uses their motoblur interface, but it isn't as intrusive as it used to be. the ics upgrade for my droid bionic is just stock android as far as i can tell.

also, i'm pretty sure motorola doesn't use carrier iq. so that is also a plus.

I've got an older Droid Thunderbolt 4G on Verizon. Unlocked the bootloader and rooted the thing after a few days. They had a ton of not only bloatware, but locked in links to a couple games that were not actually the games- merely links to go buy them in the store. Absolute crapware. Running a completely custom ROM from Infected ROMS and absolutely happy with it.

If you're down for a bit older phone, I'd take a good look around on EBay. Many like mine are available new for under $200 with no contract.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Thanks for all the input guys! I'll check those out and see how much they run. I didn't see any of them for sale through Verizon so I'd have to pay full price or go used. It could be worth it to not have to extend my contract though.

At the moment I was kinda of leaning towards a Galaxy S III. I could also still pick up a Galaxy Nexus as well which is only 50 with a contract extension. It would be a little out of date though.

I've looked at the Galaxy Note and i just think its to big for me to use as a phone. I also have a Nexus 7 that i carry around, so the Galaxy Note would be kind of a weird size. If i didn't have a tablet it would make more sense.

your pretty safe with any of the galaxy phones as they are popular and egt a lot of dev work.

Consider what you gain vs what you lose when cracking the firmware. It's always cooler to be unlocked, jailbroken, rooted, hacked, modded, and customized ... no doubt. But it's less chill when your device no longer provides the same functionality it could without the hacking. You lose any benefits the proprietary operating model offers, if not immediately then on future upgrades. Then again, many devices never see any kind of official upgrade.