Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Project CZTR

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: Project CZTR

oh snap, that would be awesome for a mod, touch sensitive buttons

i might just have to do that on argent dawn

put a touch sensitive start button on a special place on the front and a reset somewhere else (that won't get hit as much)

Genious!

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Here is the schematic i'm going to use for this. If somebody find a better one please point me there. But 5 bucks for a button is close to what i'd pay for a Vandal switch anyway.

Link:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=100148

Well due to some massive power failures in my area (my neighborhood's transformer blew up, nice little oil fire going, lots of smoke, sadly no pics) i haven't gotten as much work done as I should. But there is progress.

I finally dumped the Compaq BIOS
    If anyone has ever had to use it you know what a nightmare it is. I looked up the manufacturer and got a stock AwardBIOS file from them. Flashed it. BAM. a nice new, faster booting BIOS. Now I can boot from any of the 3 hds in my system, a zip drive, a USB drive (floppy mode), and LAN. Alongside that there are new OC'ing options and RAM timing settings. These may not seem like a big deal to you, but the most configuration you could do on the old bios was IRQ setup and Boot order. Maximan, this would be good for your mod as well.

Ok excitement over, Slackware is up and running, no X yet. but thats due to a crappy internal graphics card. KnopMyth is next anyway.

Currently under work: Xbox/PC Hybrid Tower

CZTR Series Queue Line:
    Shuttle XPC
    Dell Inspiron 3800 (Yeah a laptop)
    SGI O2

maximan1

Do you think yours would handle Windows Vista (up for download)?
    Either way heres the link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/Windowsvista/

And

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_vista

I'm putting Vista on my sisters new Vaio (which I got for $25 at a friends house with monitor and accesories (no its not new more kind of old)), and probably getting a new RAM for it too. BTW does anyone know if its nessesary to be water cooled when you overclock 50 mhz (so it'd be 450 mhz to 500 mhz so she would quit bothering me with her games)?

Overclocked

Depend on what kind of computer you wanna overclock. Laptop? I dont know. 450MHz.... sounds like P2s, or P3s. No you shouldnt need watercooling. I went from 550MHz to 787MHz, and my temps are lower than 35C idle on stock cooling. But it all depends on the temps of your CPU. Normally you should have a menu in your BIOS that would be named ''PC Health'' where you can see anything temp related (sometimes you will be able to overclock direcly there).

Be sure your temps never get much higher than 60C when loaded. If your CPU is running cool when idling (around 30C) you should be okay. If its hot (higher than 30C) try to clean the heatshink. Just remove the dust in it. Q-tips worked well on my heatsink. be sure to clean the dust on the fans too. And if you have some spare fans, try to have one in the front of the case, that will blow fresh air in the case, and one in the back of the case, that will blow all the bad hot air from the comp

maximan1

Gee thanks Nagoshi!
    Its a Pentuim 2 desktop computer.
    So you're saying I can overclock to 700 mhz without burning the poor little CPU to hell?
    Gee thats a prity good idea.

Overclocked

Welllll maybe not 700MHz, I have a Pentium3 CPU, and you have a Pentium2.

Depending on the brand of the motherboard, if it's not ''branded'' (Dell, compaq, sony, etc) you will be able to overclock it. The thing is, you may need to use jumpers or DIM configurations located direcly on the motherboard > look in your motherboard's user guide. But surely your overclocking options will be located into the BIOS.

Maybe you will be able to overclock it to around, like 600MHz if you can, depending on your RAM, computer parts and heat.

I REALLY suggest you to read THIS guide before overclocking, as you will be aware of the consequences of overclocking if you happen to overdo it.
    http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...ad.php?t=79266
    Note that this guide was made ''recently'', using 2GHz speeds as exemples.

You will need to use ratios to control your PCI and AGP speeds to 33MHz and 66MHz. Doing not so may reduce the working speed of your components, or make them become unstable.

AND DO NOT INCREASE YOUR VOLTAGE BY MORE THAN 10% OF THE DEFAULT VALUE. Doing so may permanently damage your CPU and motherboard.

Make sure you have more than 200W of power in your power supply. 230W should be okay for a Pentium2.

And it is possible that your comp may not be stable after overclocking. it is because your speeds will be too high for your components, and it will cause failure. They may appear as (and most frequenly) BSODs. Blue Screen Of Death. Be sure to watch your temps too. You can use Motherboard Monitor to see your motherboard temperatures, and load your CPU using a benchmarking program, or use SuperPI or Prime95 to load your CPU and watch your temps go up at the same time to see if you handle under 60C.

Maximan I'm not a big windows person by any means. I doubt it would run Vista even in my wildest dreams, i've played with Vista and i don't find it to have too big of an "ooooooo" factor. My machines run *NIX varients, mostly Linux or OS X, but i have a few odd balls.

This machine is the front end for a very nasty looking backend Dual Pentium 3 system that is powering MythTV for the house. The CPU in this thing is TOO weak, but if your looking to reach your goal of 700mhz you might get some luck. The BIOS update i mentioned before supports K-3 CPUs rather than the K2 in the 7470 now, theyll go a bit higher, not sure how much tho.

CZTR Series Queue Line:
    Shuttle XPC
    SGI O2

maximan1

Will my Vaio (which is dual core mind you) run Vista?
    I think its 1000 mhz

You've got one strange Vaio, considering i wasn't aware of ANY consumer level dual core chips til just recently, nor ones that clocked in at 1ghz (w/o speedstep goin) Did you mean Dual CPU, cause it might be Dual Pentium 3's, in which case thats Dual CPU not Dual Core. A dual 1ghz PIII would run vista, depending on how much RAM and such, you wont get the pretty Aero (cough OS X Aqua ripoff), and it will probably be a pinch on the slow side, but i'd say it's runnable. Assuming i guessed what you meant on your CPU, unless you're BSing it. Get back to me on that CPU issue.

More Pics in a few minutes, finishing some sanding and gunna apply a final coat of primer, then the bezel will be done until all the parts get their final paint.

CZTR Series Queue Line:
    Shuttle XPC
    SGI O2