Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDD murderers!

Default Re: HDD murderers!

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    Like . . . why do I want 20Gb drives again? Even 250Gb seems small to me now, unless it's an SSD.
    I used to find it handy to keep a few ancient PCs, a Pentium 4, a P233MMX ... great way to always be "100%" compatible with ancient software (games) and easy to pimp them up with garbage spare parts. At least it uses up a few of the best of those puny old drives. In recent years it seems like cross-platform intercompatibility and emulation has become a trivial non-issue, although no doubt one day I'll need one of these genuine machines to run a piece of dinosaur software.

I turned a few junk HDDs into fans, I found it hard to cut and bend the platters into fan blades without breaking them (although it can be done, and I used up lots of spares) and some of those stepper motors have a lot of max rpm but also make a lot of noise.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    I guess I shouldn't have deleted those videos of a friend of mine and I taking a hard drive out to be shot with our rifles and hand guns.
    lol, and a few weeks ago i was gonna take my old dead hdd's up and shoot em.... along with the small <20gb ide drives... i was going to do it again today, then i read this post.... definitely going to do it now... vids to come.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Quote Originally Posted by Cale_Hagan View Post
    lol, and a few weeks ago i was gonna take my old dead hdd's up and shoot em.... along with the small <20gb ide drives... i was going to do it again today, then i read this post.... definitely going to do it now... vids to come.
    I wasn't going to take video, then I took the first shot and there was a huge burst of sparks and the drive leapt into the air. I then turned on my camera but it never happened again.

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

All I'll say is there are certain parts of those hard drives that could be removed and reused with minimal hassle like the hard drive electronics and the hot swap casings. Could also save other things, but it would require too much time to make it worth it probably.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Spare controller boards can be handy for hacking/recovering password-locked drives, at least if they happen to be the same model (here's one of many guides). For those drives which store the password HPA stuff in firmware.

I'm all prepared, since I bought a pile of identical HDDs, waiting for one to fail so I can play with this idea and actually test RAID out firsthand. Unfortunately, none have failed yet, and I still remember my passwords.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Where was one of these things when the Terminator was running around?
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    I used to find it handy to keep a few ancient PCs, a Pentium 4, a P233MMX ...
    I used to be just like you, then I got married. My huge repository of computer junk is a whole lot smaller now. I got rid of everything that still used an IDE hard drive.