Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about actual computer.

Anodized

Default Re: Question about actual computer.

Quote Originally Posted by silverdemon
    have you tried another card in the same slot? (network card or something) maybe your slot is out...
    hhhhhhhmmm good idea. how would i network it?

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_RA
    depending on what mtoehrboard you have, theres 2 ways to help figure out whats going wrong with your computer. if your motherboard has diagnostic leds on it, thats a huge help. if not, make sure you have that little speaker hooked up, you know, that annoying one that beeps when you mess something up. it should beep if you try to start up your computer and somethings either missing or dead.
    To elaborate on this... One beep means everything is ok. If it beeps 2 or 3 times it means there is a problem. Ill search for the beep cipher in my course books.

About the Power question:
    What OS do you have? ill asume XP-SP2 unless otherwise noted.
    It might be a loose wire on the motherboard atx connector. They have "Power Good" signal wires and that might be shorting out (just an idea)
    Check your BIOS "Power Managment" options, Aswell as the "Power Options" in the control panel.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Anodized

so the power problem has been fixed. the powercord into my motherboard wasent all the way in. Thanks for the suggestion who ever sent it. any ways my videocard now works it just isnt sending a single to the moniter. the fan on it and the lights come on but the screen dosent. any suggestions? im gone for the week so leave me some ideas

Overclocked

Be sure your monitor is rightly plugged in and powered. Try using your computer with another screen. This way you will know if its the screen or the video card.

Anodized

im back and i tryed another screenm and nothin. it might be my slot how would i check that?

Overclocked

Try another video card in it.

AGP (or PCI-Express) slots are video slots, and thus you cant put a network card in it.

Do you actually see the BIOS booting screen and the Windows loading screen?

He tried my video card too, and I guess it didn't work.

Try changing thru memory sticks, like take them all out, then insert one, and if that doesn't work, take that one out, and replace it with another.

I've had that same problem with two computers so far due to bad memory sticks.

Also might try booting with minimal crap. Like unplug pretty much everything except the nessities, Main HD, Video, Processor, One stick of Ram, and your main fans (CPU and Video). And try booting like that.

a few questions/statements,
    if you have reset your bios recently, some have power after failure type settings, usually with three options similar to these. 1) last, (meaning if your comp was on when unplugged it will turn on when plugged back in. this is sometimes a default setting) 2) Alway on, turns your computer on when power is found. 3)off, means when you plug the thing in you have to push a button to turn it on.
    also, and this is a big one, if you have onboard video your bios can sometimes default to it after a reset, sometimes even to the point of ignoring your expansion slot.
    if you have a dead cmos battery unplugging from the wall will sometimes reset your bios to defaults, the above are two possible side effects.

Anodized

ok found out what was wrong... motherboard got fried power supplie voltiges all wrong... new power supply new motherboard.. thanks for the help everyone
    A wise man once said "Enjoy every sandwich."