Thread: Server Died - weird issue with one of the pool drives

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Server Died - weird issue with one of the pool drives

So my Windows Home Server turned up it's toes and I was unable to properly remove the drives from the system through the WHS console. Not a big deal (I thought) as you can access the hidden DE folder, then shares, and get your files back that way - something I've done in the past without any problems. All of the drives in the system (7 total) bar one did exactly this - but I have one drive left, and it's being, well WEIRD!!!

Attaching it to another (W system, the Computer page shows 1.3TB free (2TB samsung drive - not a AFT drive btw) - but when I go into the DE and shares folder, the drive claims to have every file from the WHS there - My Computer shows a total of about 550GB used, but when I go into the folders, select all and properties, it tells me there are nearly 5TB of files on the drive - I've tried accessing a load of them individually, and always get an error of "The system cannot access the file" - probably because it isn't actually there - after all, there's no way to get 4.87TB of data on a 2TB drive and leave 1.3TB free afterwards!!!

What I figure I need to do is somehow have windows actually check the drive and rebuild the correct file list - doing a disk check tells me there's nothing wrong, and samsungs own drive tools report the drive as perfectly functional. I could probably go through the drive and check to see which files (if any) are accessible but with 6 years and 5TB of data showing, and only 0.4TB actually there, I imagine this will take a little longer than forever!!!

Any ideas or suggestions?

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

I ... fight ... for ... the USERS! f8l_0e's Avatar

Default Re: Server Died - weird issue with one of the pool drives

What version of windows are you running on the computer you plugged the drive into?

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: Server Died - weird issue with one of the pool drives

Was Windows 8 - but it was me being stoooopid -found the files - hidden away EXACTLY where I said they were - I was looking in a different "Shares" folder - the one that keeps a copy of all the files - no files lost now heh - well still lost a shedload off of a different drive but as I have dir > file.txt'd the entire folder list I can re-download the rest - only a TB or two....

I did actually put in the original post that it was a W8 system but as I put W8 in brackets, the helpful forum smilie system changed it from ( W8 ) to (W heh

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey