Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Windows 8 really worth it?

Default Re: Windows 8 really worth it?

One thing I can find little information about. What does Win8 offer for compatibility with older Win apps? Without using it firsthand, it seems that the XP mode is just ported straight from Win7. More people seem to be complaining about incompatible Win8 apps in WINE, broken DOSBox, etc, but that's always the case before the OS matures.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    I coudn't even go a whole week, much less two. I tried for about 2 hours! What a retarded pain in the ass. I've never owned an Apple machine, but did play with one for an hour or so and it made more sense than W8

In 10 years I'll be just like one of these annoying XP guys who are still using it way after 7 came out. I just hope W9, is better. So, I guess I'll at least be keeping W7 for three or four more years?
    I guess trying an OS for 2 hours is enough to justify (presumably) several years of hate. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Yeticorn View Post
    I guess trying an OS for 2 hours is enough to justify (presumably) several years of hate. /s
    Hate is strong language. But the statement is essentially true: I only need to watch a bad movie or read a bad book once, for a few hours, to form an opinion about it which lasts for years.

Having said that, I agree with some people here - and many other places online - that the Win8 UI has a persistent-user benefit, it supposedly "improves" and self-customizes as you use it over time, so it's not really fair to entirely condemn it on short notice.

But it just doesn't look like it would work for me. It is clearly designed to streamline certain kinds of computers and computing which are different from my computers and computing. It doesn't seem to offer any substantial improvements in other (non-UI) areas, so even overwriting a retro Win7 Desktop theme over the disliked Win8 UI isn't going to justify the upgrade costs.

If I get Win8 incidentally preinstalled on a new lappy or something then I'll try it out, the same way I would use up a crappy preinstalled Norton AV subscription. Probably because I'd be too lazy to spend time installing another OS, hunting for the right drivers, etc. But I won't deliberately seek the product (especially not after buying into Windows so many times for so many years), in fact my laptop requirements would be based primarily on compatibility with non-Microsoft hardware and non-Windows operating systems, regardless whether Win8 is an option.

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

I tried out Windows 8 in a virtual machine. The new interface bothered me at first, but once I learned some of the keyboard shortcuts, I started to become cool with it. The PC version of it is capable of running desktop applications. When you select a desktop app on the new "full screen" start menu, it opens it up on the desktop. There's also options to pin it to the desktop's taskbar.

I tried it out because I'm going to buy a laptop later this year and it will probably have it pre-installed. I made sure that it will still run all the applications that I want it to do and it was able to run them.

The new interface is weird. The desktop icons, as well as folder icons, have these little check boxes in the upper left corner. I wondered what the heck they were for, so I consulted Google. Those check boxes are there to make it easy for people to select more than one item with a touch screen. With a mouse, you just hold the button and make a box around everything or hold down the control key while you click each item. Windows 8 was definitely made for touch screens.

I'm not going to go out of my way to upgrade my desktop to Windows 8. But, I won't be afraid to use it if I get a machine that has it pre-installed. I currently run Linux with XP in a virtual machine.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Windows 3.x = Good
    Windows 95 = Terrible
    Windows 98 = Good
    Windows 2000 = Terrible
    Windows XP = Good
    Windows Vista = Terrible
    Windows 7 = Good
    Windows 8 = ?

You decide.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

There are a couple of problems with this list IMO heh.... Firstly, Windows 95 wasn't that bad, Windows 98 wasn't much good until they got around to 98SE which was a pretty good, stable OS. Windows 2000 was, and remains, a very stable OS for it's intended use - it was never meant as an everyday desktop OS, and you missed out ME which, admittedly, sucked the big one in SOOOO many ways, and finally XP which only really got reliable and stable with SP2 (which also pumped up it's resource requirements).....

That kinda messes up the Good, Terrible, Good, Terrible order ya think?

Windows 3.x = Good
    Windows 95 = OK
    Windows 98 = Good, eventually....
    Windows 2000 = Good
    Windows ME = Terrible
    Windows XP = Good, eventually...
    Windows Vista = Not as bad as many people think
    Windows 7 = Very Good
    Windows 8 = ?

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

I'm just going to do microsoft a favor and never acknowledge that Windows ME ever existed in the first place (^_^)

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

What the hell for? They didn't do us a favour by releasing it

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

I see Microsoft consumer PC things a little differently ....

Win3.x = just a bloated DOS menu program
    Win95 = an even more bloated DOS menu program plagued with memory leaks and compatibility problems
    Win98 = best of the 9x, as far as that goes - 98SE halfway successful
    WinNT = the almost-forgotten stepchild hidden in the attic - NT4 halfway successful
    WinME = FAIL! - ugly baby that refused to drown for too long
    WinXP, Win2K = marginal, but evolved into ...
    WinXPSP2 = SUCCESS! - still pirated today!
    Vista = FAIL! - and not as bad as many people think? ... perhaps, but hackers and pirates wouldn't even take it for free
    Win7 = SUCCESS!
    Win8 = ?

Following this rough pattern, Win8 should be suboptimal compared to the last successful Windows generation. Why pay money to be Microsoft's market-technology-research guinea pigs? That's as dumb as spending premiums for nothing more than the special privilege of advertising corporate logos on your laptops and t-shirts. To my mind there is a difference between being an "innovator" or "early adopter" and being a gullible subscriber to digital mugging.

And, of course:

Linux = variable, but (except for Red Hat) the distros are consistently good to awesome