Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 really worth it?

Default Windows 8 really worth it?

I'm a linux guy, lately sort of edging away from Ubuntu towards Mandrake, dunno why. As long as it's not stupid Red Hat it's good linux.

But I can't lie, I use Windows a helluva lot more often than I'd like to admit. Primarily Win7, although I still have XP-SP2 and 98SE on older machinery.

Spent big bucks on Win7 Ultimates (32 and 64). And now Win8 has been around long enough to overcome the worst driver/API teething issues, get a service pack, mature a bit, etc.

Is it worth the upgrade? Yeah, I've done my research, all the MS-affiliate nerds and gutless review sites are proclaiming Win8 is all that, harder, better, faster, stronger. I believe it's true, just suspicious of the hype. So I appeal to TBCS gang, men with balls and powertools and reckless disregard for any technical fluff which isn't written on the hard specs and datasheets.

One thing I see on Win8 which I instantly reject is new interface. Looks like crud, I'm old fashioned and want a PC that does stuff far more important than stupid social networking gossip and constant vicarious updates about every trivial little change in posture.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: Windows 8 really worth it?

Opinion time:

I'm still rocking XP, and am fine with it.

I know that there's stuff to (attempt to) just go directly to the desktop. My question is, why would you need to make 8 act exactly like 7, when 7 is there?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Yeah, I utterly avoided Vista and stuck with XP and linux. Working XP Mode was what finally moved me to Win7. So far I haven't found anything which isn't 100% compatible and problem free with it (just click icon, it runs, no configuration/tweaking needed).

Win7 is a good, solid, and "lightweight" Windows build (that is, substantially less bloated than usual for Microsoft). I'm just wondering if Win8 is a real upgrade (improves performance!) ... or if it's just an ugly interface combined with "this year we put a 12 on the box".

nope screw windows 8. I would rather run windows vista or me. Now if you can get windows 8 for 15$ like i did go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

I'm of the opinion that if you have a tablet or touch-screen device, go for Windows 8. But for most people it's not the best OS out there, especially for keyboard and mouse. I usually get each Windows upgrades, but not this time.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by blaze15301 View Post
    nope screw windows 8. I would rather run windows vista or me. Now if you can get windows 8 for 15$ like i did go for it.
    I got it for $15 too, but still haven't installed it. I've heard there are big issues with eyefinity. Add to that that it really is a touch-centric interface and I'm not sold.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Windows 8 blows. It's the worst OS ever created. Vista is awesome in comparison, but I'm rocking Win 7 on all my machines
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

It's decided then.

Especially since Win8 looks like it's all about tightly integrating the (ugly) new GUI hierarchy with the latest WMP and IE versions ... apps which I replaced in Win7, and which IMHO get incrementally more restrictive on every major version. I also reject the Cloud, and will never be convinced that any kind of wireless tech can be as fast, reliable, or secure as a CAT5e run. No intention of touching my screen whenever I code or game, hate those oily finger smudges.

All told, not worth a new proprietary file system (which is still inferior to at least a dozen linux file systems). Or another half point max cap on the useless WEI metric. Or USB3, encryption, etc, since these things can be supported in Win7 (and superior non-Microsoft alternatives are available).

I haven't yet used Win8 at all, ever, but from what I see it's not even worth ten bucks ... I'd probably even wipe the branded Win8 preinstall off a new laptop rather than waste time on the so-called "steep learning curve" for the idiot-looking interface. I agree, it looks good for mobile devices ... although Android and iOS are seriously less bloaty.

I think I'll be a Win8 hater. The attitude worked when riding out WinME and Vista.

Not sure what's with all the hate. I've been rocking it for about 4 months now and it's fine. I did have Win 7 Ultimate and if you already have something that awesome then just stick with Win 7. Windows 8 is fine though - again not sure where all this hate is from.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I use W8 on my main laptop, which with the weather (which makes the computer room bloody freezing) is currently my main PC and there really isn't anything wrong with it - if you install it, try it for a couple of days or a week, you'll probably dislike it - I've been using it for months now and it's utterly usable. Having said that, the main reason I'm still using it is that I don't have time to reinstall 7 heh. As I've previously mentioned in another post, if you have a touch-screen, it's almost definitely a worthwhile upgrade - if you're on Vista, again, definitely worth going for as it kicks vista all over the playing field in terms of stability and reliability. If you're running (and happy with) a W7 installation on a non-touchscreen machine, I really can't recommend the upgrade.

If you're asking for opinions, I'd strongly recommend you ignore anyone who gave up on it inside the first week or so - it DOES take some getting used to - ask people who've actually lived with it and listen to what they have to say....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey