Thread: RE: Full size tower ATX case

Fresh Paint

Default RE: Full size tower ATX case

Been looking for one on Google a couple days now, without success, and fairly sure what I want is not available. Still, I've been wrong before, so it don't hurt to check with others. I'm after case having steel chassis, aluminum panels, with lots of drive bays and ports. That's my main requirement, but big maglev fans would be bonus points! Does such a critter exist readymade? If not, can anyone recommend a case that minimal modding can turn into what I want? I've never done modding before, so I want to try to avoid major overhaul!

Default Re: Full size tower ATX case

Some of the thermaltake chassis have lots of drive bays. I was looking for one of the older Armor TT cases, but it looks like they don't make them anymore.

This one:
    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/produc...?id=C_00000091

Has 7 3.5" bays and 7 5.25" bays.

I'll keep updating this as work allows...

BTW: Supermicro makes some full tower chassis with lots of drive bays, but they get pricey.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Maglev fans, whoa nifty. Learn something new every day. Shows how outdated you get after just a year or two, haha.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    Some of the thermaltake chassis have lots of drive bays. I was looking for one of the older Armor TT cases, but it looks like they don't make them anymore.

This one:
    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/produc...?id=C_00000091

Has 7 3.5" bays and 7 5.25" bays.

I'll keep updating this as work allows...

BTW: Supermicro makes some full tower chassis with lots of drive bays, but they get pricey.
    Thanks! I'll research the link. How difficult do you think it would be for modding newbie to replace the 120mm fan with a 120mm maglev model? I might also need to add ports...some of the legacy motherboards I'm considering have like ten or more USB 2.0, couple eSATA, and multiple Firewire, plus the video capture card has lots of stuff (component, composite, DVI-I, etc.). Never tried to alter a PC case before. Do have some experience with Dremel & similar tools.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    Maglev fans, whoa nifty. Learn something new every day. Shows how outdated you get after just a year or two, haha.
    I've seen many a positive review on them for being easy to clean, quiet, and long-lasting...although not too clear on the difference between them and the magnetic barometric bearing-type. And silentpcreview doesn't seem to like them much.

It seems there's not a lot of information about maglev fans, basically just literature from two manufacturers and piles of uninformed commentary/suspicion.

From the specs, airflow vs dB seems about on par with any other quality fan, other specs aren't remarkable. The only figure which jumps at me is very high MTBF claim. Bearings (in good fans) aren't usually the main noise source anyhow, so maglev bearings aren't as much of an improvement as they'd appear ... at least not while the fan is new, the difference might be vast after a few years. At least they won't make that special double-ball-bearing whine which drives me bonkers (and nobody else seems able to hear). Not sure how they could be much easier to clean, compressed air plus Q-tip is already pretty quick and easy and effective.

My only real criticism is that they aren't "true" maglev at all, the impeller and drive are still mechanically connected and still have a friction point. It looks to me like current implementations are just market gimmicks, which is a shame because the tech would indeed make superior fans if the focus wasn't so greedy.

Next time I need fans I'll pick a few of these up. Unfortunately I've built everything so solid that things like fan failure just never happens.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Quote Originally Posted by trius View Post
    Thanks! I'll research the link. How difficult do you think it would be for modding newbie to replace the 120mm fan with a 120mm maglev model? I might also need to add ports...some of the legacy motherboards I'm considering have like ten or more USB 2.0, couple eSATA, and multiple Firewire, plus the video capture card has lots of stuff (component, composite, DVI-I, etc.). Never tried to alter a PC case before. Do have some experience with Dremel & similar tools.
    The fans should be a direct replacement and should not require any modding of the chassis (as far as I can tell)

Most of the time you will not need to mod anything in the chassis to add USB ports since you can use a USB header to pull the ports to one of the slots in back.
    Here is one example (I have seen one model with 4 ports):

There are similar adapters for eSATA and Firewire.

Not sure of the capture card, but if it is a standard card, you shouldn't have to mod anything either.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Fresh Paint

Thanks! Great to hear, as I was not looking forward to learning how to do it, and the custom-build shop I'll be using hates doing modding enough to overcharge for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    The fans should be a direct replacement and should not require any modding of the chassis (as far as I can tell)

Most of the time you will not need to mod anything in the chassis to add USB ports since you can use a USB header to pull the ports to one of the slots in back.
    Here is one example (I have seen one model with 4 ports):

There are similar adapters for eSATA and Firewire.

Not sure of the capture card, but if it is a standard card, you shouldn't have to mod anything either.

Fresh Paint

No, they don't put out anymore air than other fans. Their rep is for being easier to clean, longer lasting, and a bit more quiet than ball-bearing fans.
    The one researched just snapped apart to remove the blade, making it easier to clean than even my 16" table fans. Unfortunately I left the info at home, but a quickie search gave up the following:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums...ic.php?p=93902
    http://www.sunonusa.com/index2.asp?f...ology&p=maglev

Will try to remember to bring the 'good stuff' next time. Anyway, regarding the "main noise source", I'd think it best attack a problem from as many angles as possible, including the fan as source of noise. Silentpcreview does carry some weight in picking components for my custom-build, and among other things, picking an full size tower case to allow sound proofing material is one angle...among many.

By the way, did you grasp the difference between maglev and magnetic barometric bearing fans? If so, could you explain it to me, as I still don't get it. I'm no techno sort so try to make it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    It seems there's not a lot of information about maglev fans, basically just literature from two manufacturers and piles of uninformed commentary/suspicion.

From the specs, airflow vs dB seems about on par with any other quality fan, other specs aren't remarkable. The only figure which jumps at me is very high MTBF claim. Bearings (in good fans) aren't usually the main noise source anyhow, so maglev bearings aren't as much of an improvement as they'd appear ... at least not while the fan is new, the difference might be vast after a few years. At least they won't make that special double-ball-bearing whine which drives me bonkers (and nobody else seems able to hear). Not sure how they could be much easier to clean, compressed air plus Q-tip is already pretty quick and easy and effective.

My only real criticism is that they aren't "true" maglev at all, the impeller and drive are still mechanically connected and still have a friction point. It looks to me like current implementations are just market gimmicks, which is a shame because the tech would indeed make superior fans if the focus wasn't so greedy.

Next time I need fans I'll pick a few of these up. Unfortunately I've built everything so solid that things like fan failure just never happens.

Fresh Paint

First off, my thanks to everyone that assisted with this thread. I've now reached a tentative conclusion, but need to check some facts before finalizing. Of all the cases I've studied, these look to be the best fit:
    Cooler Master CM Stacker STC-T01-UWK
    " " " " RC-810-SKN1
    Thermaltake VA8003BWS
    Xigmatek CCC-HSA0DS-U01
    Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80R
    That said, the devil hides in the details, so wish to ask for help in uncovering the finer points of these cases. Have not been able to find out whether or not all of these offer at least seven expansion slots, can accommodate large CPU fans (like Noctua or Zalman), and offer rigid screw-in mounting of HDDs.

Regarding the latter, I plan on using mobile racks for the three HDDs (probably Kingwin KF-1000-bk), and according to 'Mike' in his Newegg review titled "Great idea, works pretty good":
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817990001
    ...these mobile racks require "rigid screw in mounting" so this is important to know. Been looking at the specs of these cases, but few mention number of expansion slots, none outright say they will fit the large CPU coolers nor have the required mounting scheme, so need help discovering this!