Thread: What have I missed?

"Lemme Sho' Ya' Sumtin!!!" - FMB

Default What have I missed?

It's been awhile since i've modded anything or done anything major computer related. I've been busy with college life.

Anyways, What is new in the computer component realm?
    I've seen that AMD now has AM3+ 8 core processors?!? Is that the only real new thing out?
    Project: Archangel Complete
    Project: Patron W.I.P
    Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz, MSI 785GTM-E45, 2x2gb Kingston 800mhz, Hitachi 320gb HDD, OCZ StealthXStream 400w

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Default Re: What have I missed?

basically there isn't much new out. intel is beating amd in the top performance end as usual, with a 4 core vs amd's 8 core. also, you know how intel had tri channel memory for the old 1366 boards? now they have quad channel memory setups for the newest enthusiast platform... ill type up more later of new and cool stuff, related or not to the computer field when i get back from my full shift from work... right before i try to pass out so i can get at least 6 hours of sleep before school. work till almost midnight, then school at 8am... >_>

anyways. yeah.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

"Lemme Sho' Ya' Sumtin!!!" - FMB

Quote Originally Posted by Cale_Hagan View Post
    basically there isn't much new out. intel is beating amd in the top performance end as usual, with a 4 core vs amd's 8 core.at least 6 hours of sleep before school. work till almost midnight, then school at 8am... >_>

anyways. yeah.
    Yeah, I know how it is trying to find as much sleep as possible. Haha. And I guess with not really looking into it I assumed that the 8 core was better. But I now assumed that there isn't as much guts in each core on the 8 versus 4.
    Project: Archangel Complete
    Project: Patron W.I.P
    Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz, MSI 785GTM-E45, 2x2gb Kingston 800mhz, Hitachi 320gb HDD, OCZ StealthXStream 400w

Quote Originally Posted by Locum51 View Post
    Yeah, I know how it is trying to find as much sleep as possible. Haha. And I guess with not really looking into it I assumed that the 8 core was better. But I now assumed that there isn't as much guts in each core on the 8 versus 4.
    yeah, my friend was the same way... especially in relation to video cards... you can have an nvidia 210 with 1gb of ram, and it's still worse than a 9800 gt with 512mb... so i taught him it's more about the stream processors and memory bandwidth. mostly the stream processors and ROP's and shaders are the things to worry about.

Intel has the better architecture. smaller lithography, and up to 6 cores, hyper threading. aka 6 logical cores, but 12 virtual cores.

Corsair has some really neato all in one NAS wireless hub and pass through with ~7 hours battery life, pretty sweet deal. great for on the go travel.

intel announced their quad core atom, and also talked at great link about their entry into the tablet market, and the move they are starting to make into the budget cell phone area for new markets. today, the first intel cell phone running that chip came out in kenya...

samsung had a 1080p screen labeled for release at q1 of 2013 at CES, further leading to the rumors accuracy about the 1080p on the upcoming galaxy s4, with a 4.99 inch 1080p screen.

MSI has a cool new tab that has a bottom slide out keyboard with an i5 proc and a beefy amount of memory with windows 8 running stock. almost every manufacturer is getting into the portable tablet market, with slide out or detachable keyboards with storage on the keyboard dock, somewhat like what gigabyte brought out.

sorry if i misspelled or mis-typed any of that, as i am currently typing this from my cisp class at the moment.
    Last edited by Cale_Hagan; 01-30-2013 at 10:35 PM.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

also, these are cool. the flexible screen is rumored to be released around mid to late this year, and the bumpy tab was at CES.... pretty cool stuff!