Thread: Recommendations for Blu-Ray Playback Software

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default Recommendations for Blu-Ray Playback Software

I recently purchased a blu-ray drive for my computer (this drive, to be specific), and I was displeased to learn that it could not play blu-ray discs without special software.

Therefore, can anyone here recommend software for me to use with the drive? I seek software that is fairly intuitive to use, does not consume great amounts of system resources (either disk capacity or memory), and, most importantly, is free, or at least very inexpensive and has only a one-time fee, not a continues fee for its usage. Thank you very much.

As a side note, why will blu-ray drives not play blu-ray discs without special software? That seems to be a major mistake to me, since video game consoles can play blu-ray discs without any upgrades or additional software, and all optical drives can play regular DVD's without any additional software. What insight can anyone here offer on that subject?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: Recommendations for Blu-Ray Playback Software

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    Yes, thank you very much, but I currently do not use VLC player, so is it possible to play blu-ray discs in Media Player Classic, which is included in the K-Lite Codec Pack, which I currently use?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

You can try it.
    My Blue ray player came with a free version of cyberlink blue ray edition.

VLC is pretty good. It can be used from a simple player to a full on network media streamer.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...