Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EA's origin... could it be worse?

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Default EA's origin... could it be worse?

sorry for the lack of activity, between work, college, and my grandmother falling whom i have been taking care of since she was released from a skilled nursing facility after surgery (pins in the broken femur, partial hip replacement) i haven't had much time for internet, or fun. anyways, she is recovering quickly, so hopefully i will have some time soon.

ahh, yes... now to the topic at hand, EA and their DRM origin client.

another reason to hate EA.... like i said time and time again, i refuse to buy anything on origin since my first and last purchase, BF3. no matter how bad i want it, or how much i love the series. i vow not to purchase or otherwise support origin.

i feel for the poor souls trying to play sim city, or working on a city for hours, just to lose it all.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...201105322.html

same happened to crysis 3.
    reviewers and players alike hate origin. why not just let steam do what they do best?
    http://www.geek.com/articles/games/h...view-20130221/

and

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Crysi...e-330713.shtml

what do you guys think? has EA messed up so bad, they are driving away their consumer base enough to effect their income? soo many gamers casual and hardcore are fed up... there are already many petitions popping up, and many stands against EA...
    like i said, i vow not to support games on origin.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Default Re: EA's origin... could it be worse?

i really want ME3, Crysis 3 and SimCity but well.... Origin and stupid DRM have me avoiding them like the plague.

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stonerboy779 View Post
    i really want ME3, Crysis 3 and SimCity but well.... Origin and stupid DRM have me avoiding them like the plague.
    and about every other gamer i know. lol
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

C&C 4 was the last game I bought from them and I remember days and days where I couldn't play because of server issues - they really have no excuse whatsoever for this as it's happened so many times before...

Maybe they should change the name to Apple - at least then we'd EXPECT them to ignore what customers actually want and need, and just give them what they "should" want and need (according to the manufacturer)....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

EA is going to lose a lot more legitimate customers (myself already included) with their horrible customer service than they will to piracy.

But they'll just blame piracy while all their customers continue to tell them to stop being jerks.

They recently said that "all their games going forward will feature micro-transactions", then backtracked and said, "all games? No, no, no. We meant, 'all mobile games.'"

I've been finished and over with EA for several years now. I also still refuse to buy games for $60. Used to be that console games were $60 and PC were $50. Now most PC games are $60 at launch. I just wait until the price drops. I'm not falling into that trap.

Doesn't bother me too much, since IMHO EA (then using their long-discarded "EOA" logo) all went to drek sometime in the mid-90s when they installed a motion-capture studio and shifted 99% of their focus onto stupid sports games. I seriously think the last great title they ever made was probably Archon (and yeah, Archon II, which was also kinda cool yet not quite as great as the original) ... compiled for Apple II+ and C64 platforms ... and no, I'm definitely not some kind of geezer Luddite thumping his cane in anger and demanding a return to the "good old days" of video gaming. Okay, well I am, a little. But really, I'm just trying to say that EA Sports, or at least their products - unconditionally and unambiguously - suck the big one and blow chunks.

I mean, sports is like sex ... you just gotta be in there, part of the action, doing it personally. Sitting back and watching it is not as good and somehow feels wrong. Carrying it to the next level - video game simulations - is, to me, somehow even more unwholesome and unreal and ... dirty. I'd rather play actual hockey, even in crappy conditions against crappy players, than play crappy EA hockey - no contest.

[Edit]

Alright, it's a mostly-off-topic rant. But, hey, "Konrad is a helpful and decent person" (hahaha, yeah whatever) so I think I can get away with it now and then.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    Alright, it's a mostly-off-topic rant. But, hey, "Konrad is a helpful and decent person" (hahaha, yeah whatever) so I think I can get away with it now and then.
    +rep

There. Now you know what you're talking about when it comes to computers.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Ohnoes, my reputation is ruined!

Um.

Thanks?

That's what I get for opening my yap. Probably shoulda just stuck with ratting out spammers. I don't know anything at all about computers, just lots of useless technobabble about computer parts.

Grumblemumblegrog.

I'm torn with regards to Crysis 3 and Sim City. My girlfriend really wanted SimCity and I did buy it for her. So far she's only had to 'queue' once, and generally has had no problems with the game. I like the game in itself, but there is a few things that irk me to no end. One is, if I go on a flight, I can't play SimCity. That really bugs me as I have trouble with flying because of my ears, and any distraction is good as then I can fly easier without having to be in agony (I have to wear earplugs regardless). I've had to listen to music, but a game would help.
    Another thing that irks me, and is partially related to the first, the game doesn't save on your computer, it saves on EA servers, and it's not transferred between these servers (Which is understandable, but if you want to play and your server is full and every single other server isn't, that's a touch annoying).

I could rant on, but I won't. I just hope EA realise the error of their ways (I doubt it) and fixes these issues. Although having to listen to the EA CEO talk about how to squeeze the most money out of gamers, I ain't holding out for a major change.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Online-only play is a delicious rant all unto itself. From a programming/service/management viewpoint I can appreciate the necessity and sometimes-genius of server-based models. From a gamer viewpoint I think it's lame and angrily seethe against anything which floats off my computers into the clouds.