Thread: Hydroponic Gardening

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Default Hydroponic Gardening

So I haven't posted anything in a while. A few small projects have been put together here and there and I do need to get them posted up. But I have decided since I had a little extra $$ I would start a hydroponic garden. I've been planning and trying to get ideas for a while now. I first got interested in hydroponics when I came across a project someone had done in AZ called the Garden Pool. Basically they turned an old empty pool into a whole aeroponic/hydroponic garden space.
    Right now I have a small Deep Water Box for my desk which will be holding a small herb garden and maybe a strawberry plant. I started everything about a week ago and will have pics posted tomorrow on current plants that have sprouted.
    I'll have a couple more posts with this one that will have information on setting up the Deep Water Box and the Mini Greenhouses I put together. I thought maybe posting here would be good because I've seen a few of us who are in apartments or rented spaces who would like a way to plant items and have vegetables freshly grown. I'm hoping to have a bigger setup someday but we are thinking of moving in the next year and I need to keep the systems small and simple. Hopefully on top of the Deep Water I'll eventually be able to do a Drip bucket for larger plants like tomatos.
    Hopefully you'll enjoy this and get some ideas. Eventually I'd like to bring in my love of computers and go full out Ardunio/Raspberry Pi controlled systems.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Default Re: Hydroponic Gardening

So here we are a week into my hydroponic project and I have sprout growing already.

Sweet Basil - up to about 1/2 an inch tall. hopefully in the next week I can move my DWB around and start the actual hydroponic part of growing.

And some Cilantro. Roots are pushing out now, again hopefully in another week they can go into the DWB.

Here's a shot of the whole current system for the greenhouse growing part. I have the light and heating pad on timers I picked up at WalMart ($4 each) and they run the light for 16 hours so I don't have to remember to turn it off and the heating pad that I had lying around to keep everything warm. That's running in 1 hours sets, an hour on and an hour off. Set to low heat. Just trying to keep them warm in my basement not cook them. Seems to be working since the pad was added the seeds that are sprouting have really shot up.

Here's one of the timers. This one is the one that runs the heating pad for me.

I am sorry for the bad picture quality. I'll try to snag the regular camera for future updates.

Well that's it for now. Hopefully in the next few days to a week I'll have more sprouts and something going into the DWB.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Default Re: Hydroponic Gardening

Nice! Make sure to keep posting so we can see all the progress, and the tasty end results.