Thread: Really Weird Paint problem

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Really Weird Paint problem

I bought two of the exact cans of spray paint. I did a whole case in it and ran out.

Then I switched to the other can for the top

When it dried it came out darker!

You can see that the tops are the same, but the nozzle color is different

Ever see this before?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Default Re: Really Weird Paint problem

Definitely not the same paint. Misfill at the factory? I'd be pissed.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

I agree with TLH and I would be wanting my money back and/or a proper can.

I've never had that problem. That's crazy. I'd let the company know. They'll probably make it all better for you, except for the lost time, agony, and effort.

Your chromatic mismatch is a direct violation of the International Valspar Paint Corporation Color Guarantee ... where "Love Your Color" is more than just an advertising slogan!

Same substrate material on your top and bottom pieces? Same surface primer and preparation? Shake your cans well? Has one gone bad from prolongued exposure to heat, light, air, or shelf-life? Just curious, although I personally think the light/dark trim thing is kinda pleasing, assuming it can be applied consistently and you don't need a (gulp!) third can of paint. Now you can linky this post in your official Valspar complaint lol.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

I've had the same problem with red Krylon Fusion, but one can was sitting for a year in my shed. That one was several shades darker.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Paint is made in batches at different factories. Most of the time (in theory) every batch from every factory should match the one before and after it. but in reality some times you get some variance. This is a bigger problem with the cheaper store brands then your Krylon or Rustoleum, etc. I try to buy cans with all the same production code (varies from brand to brand but look at the bottom of the can.) Most hardware stores will swap the "bad" can out for a new one. Take one of the originals with you and see if you can find a can that matches the production code. Or at least comes from the same factory.

When you can buy a can or two more then you think you need (at least for a big project). (sounds like you tried to do this though).

In the case you have showing you can go back over the lighter color with the darker to make the case match.

CBB

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Whoa, CBB is back!!!! heh - gotta be a couple years since I saw you around!!

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Fresh Paint

I agree with Crazy. I've painted cars for 30 years and major car companies don't have their act together enough to mix consistent batches of color either. I've run into some colors that had 15 or more different variant formulas. I believe someone mentioned blending for a uniform finish, with a little practice you can get uniform color or some cool effects by blending.

Painthead
    “The price of meat has just gone up and your old lady has just gone down.”
    -Frank Zappa

I recall many troubling episodes in my ancient days, before I managed to escape the bondage of my evil screenprinting overlords. Precise colour-matching is a science, an art, and even with sheafs of "universal" indexing systems and reference materials, is sometimes impossible unless you simply mix it all together from a single batch. Unless you live in Tron world and only deal with digital stuff, of course.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.