Junpus DX1 Thermal Paste:

Thermal paste has come a long way since the days of the old stock OEM white gloop, with companies striving to offer the best thermal interface we are seeing more advanced compounds all the time.

Enter Junpus, a new comer on the western thermal scene, JunPus where actually established in 1978 as a clothing manufacturer but in 2003 set their main focus on the thermal industry. Fast forward another 10 years and to the release of JP’s new range of Nano Diamond pastes. At the time of writing this Junpus offer 2 new varieties those being the mid-range D9000 and the high performance DX1 although today I will be focusing on the DX-1 compound.

The D9000 is available in 3 gram tubes for around $9 USD, whilst the DX1 is also available in the 3 gram tube for roughly $12 USD.

Specs & Manufacturer Details-

JP-Dx1 Made with high-purity thermal conducting materials, JP-Dx1 exhibits excellent thermal conduction thanks to its finer molecular structure produced by Nano scale treatment.

This product has the following superior properties such as high chemical stability, being non-corrosive, anti-oxidation, non-toxicity, non-volatility, non-flammability, and causing no irritation to human skin. It can withstand long-term storage, does not easily solidify, and can be readily implemented to the printing and coating process.

JP-Dx1 Made with high-purity thermal conducting materials, JP-Dx1 exhibits excellent thermal conduction thanks to its finer molecular structure produced by Nano scale treatment.

This product has the following superior properties such as high chemical stability, being non-corrosive, anti-oxidation, non-toxicity, non-volatility, non-flammability, and causing no irritation to human skin. It can withstand long-term storage, does not easily solidify, and can be readily implemented to the printing and coating process.

JP-Dx1 Thermally conductive compounds are a grease-like product which is formulated with Nano diamond powder and silicone fluids as base oil to provide superior thermal conductivity.

Good performance is obtained when use JP-Dx1 for thermal conductivity of semiconductor devices, such as CPUs, ICs, High Power LED and power transistors.

Application:
Main ingredients: Nano diamond, silicon

•Major applications:
o Heat sink interface for the high-power chips in power source electronics such as power supply
o Heat sink interface for High Bright LED High Bright LED
o Heat sink interface for CPU in various computers or high-power chips
o Heat sink interface for Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) in different display cards
•This product complies with the RoHS (Restriction of use of hazardous substances) Directive: SGS no.CE/2008/12124

•Thermal Conductivity: 16(W/m•K)
Viscosity (mPa. s) - 3,000,000
Specific Gravity (g/cm3) - 2.7
Thermal Conductivity (w/m-K) - 16 MAX
Thermal Resistance - (℃*cm2/w) 60Psi 0.05
Dielectric Constant - 14.5 at 1MHz
Volatile matter (%)120℃@96hrs - 0.18
Out Gassing (%), 200℃@96hrs - 0.01
Temperature Stability (℃) - -50 ~ 200
Shelf Life - 2 years

Product Features:
•Superior thermal conduction and low thermal resistivity.
•Wide range of applicable temperatures and stable thermal conductivity.
Better Recontact: advantage II
•Easy to work with, non-caustic, anti-oxidation, not easily solidifying.

A Brief summary of what thermal grease does according to Wiki-

“Thermal grease (also called thermal gel, thermal compound, thermal paste, heat paste, heat sink paste or heat sink compound) is a viscous fluid substance, originally with properties akin to grease, which increases the thermal conductivity of a thermal interface by filling microscopic air-gaps present due to the imperfectly flat and smooth surfaces of the components; the compound has far greater thermal conductivity than air (but far less than metal). In electronics, it is often used to aid a component's thermal dissipation via a heat sink.”

Thermal grease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Application-

As far as thermal paste goes the DX1 spreads extremely easily and the addition off the application spatula makes this even easier.

The paste is fairly thin compared to most, mildly sticky with a light grey colour, I used a rice size dollop which covered the surface of the Phenom II cpu with ease.

The paste is pretty simple to clean up as well, I always end up with paste fingers and sometimes it takes some effort to clean off, but this isn’t the case with DX1.

Test Method-

The testing method I will be using today is very straight forward. Once the paste is applied and the PC is running I will take a reading of the initial boot temperature then allow the compound an hour to burn in idling. The PC will then be turned off and allowed to return back to ambient room temperatures, after temps have dropped everything will be repowered with another boot temp being recorded followed by a 20 minute prime 95 torture test with temperatures being recorded at the halfway mark and end of testing.

The computer will then be turned off and allowed to cool again after which the tests will be repeated 2 more times. Rinse and Repeat. After all this testing I will run Folding@Home for 15 minutes and then record one more set of temps just for good measure. All results will also have the ambient (Room) temps recorded.

So with paste applied and the system installed it's time to take a look at some temperatures. I will be using the ever reliable Arctic MX4 as a comparison product in these tests.

Test System-

Today’s tests will be carried out with stock clocks of 3.6 GHz on air but I will be adding watercooling and overclocking results once my i7 is up and running. The Thermal range of the DX-1 is rated between -50 to 200'c so at this stage the JP's Nano diamond range of pastes are NOT recommended for extreme cooling.

CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 975BE (3.6 GHz)
Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V
PSU - Apevia Darkside500w
Memory - Corsair Vengeance
Cooling - Tuniq Tower Extreme (Speed turned all the way down)
Case - Danger Den Torture rack (Open air with 2 x 120mm again turned right down)

Feel the Burn-

Initial Boot Temps-

Junpus DX-1: 36’c (Ambient 24’c)
Arctic MX4: 36’c (Ambient 24’c)

After 60 Minutes Burn in-

Junpus DX-1: 35’c (Ambient 24’c)

15 Minutes cool down while system readjusts to room temps.

2nd Boot Idle-

Prime95 Test #1 -

Junpus DX-1: (Ambient 24’c)

After 10 mins- 50’c

After 20 mins 50’c

Arctic MX4: (Ambient 24’c)

After 10 mins- 52’c

After 20 mins- 53’c

3rd Boot Idle-

Junpus DX-1: 37’c (Ambient 24’c)

Prime95 Test #2 –

After 10 mins- 50’c

After 20 mins- 50’c

Arctic MX4: (Ambient 23'c)

After 10 mins- 51’c

After 20 mins- 51’c

4th Boot Idle-

Arctic MX4: 36’c (Ambient 22'c)

Prime95 Test #3 –

After 10 mins- 50’c

After 20 mins- 50’c

Arctic MX4: (Ambient 22'c)

After 10 mins- 50’c

After 20 mins- 50’c

Folding @ Home 15 Min Test-

Junpus DX-1: 49’c (Ambient 24’c)

Arctic MX4: 48’c (Ambient 22’c)

Unfortunately by the time I was finishing up the MX4 results my ambient temps where starting to cool down, but I think it’s still pretty clear by these results that the DX1 came out on top by around 1-2’c on a majority of my tests.

Conclusion-

I would like to start this wrap up by thanking Vincent from Junpus for supplying me with the samples used for this review.

Lower temperatures are always good even if it is by a degree or 2 and the fact that the Junpus DX1 held its own and even beat out MX4 during testing is definitely a positive sign of things to come from Junpus. The DX1 is definitely a quality thermal paste and one I would recommend for anyone looking to squeeze every last degree out of their cooling.

I’m looking forward to further testing under some more extreme conditions. I will update my findings once I have OC and H20 Results